Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I AM PISSED!!!!! (rust on my Kimber barrel)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Just so you don't feel any worse, it happens on the higher $$$ Kimber's as well. Here's a thread from my "home" forum on an identical issue with a Desert Warrior.

Firearm Discussion • View topic - How to fix this rust?

BTW, the fellow with Sheriff in his handle is actually the Sheriff of Oconee County GA and his SWAT team uses Kimbers. He and his Chief Deputy (Legacy38) are Kimber certified armorers...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-21-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

BTW, Sarge; Just givin' ya a poke!! I'm sure Kimber will make it right. Let us know what they decide to do for you.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sarge, if you're set on getting rid of it, take a look at a Springfield "Loaded" 1911 before you buy the XD.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #14

Sarge, take a minute to go look at the thread I posted a link to. When you get back, consider this:

Even though the Sheriff and his Chief Deputy are aware of the rust issues - they still chose Kimber 1911s to arm their SWAT team...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-21-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Does it look like this?

This happened in Northern CA humidity hovers around 5 to 10% most of the year. It has sinced moved to VA where our humidity hovers around 60 to 90% most of the year.

sd530202.jpg

Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

For around the same price as your kimber, you can get a springfield mil spec stainless 1911.
Thats what i'm getting, i'll have it paid off in a couple weeks.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
For around the same price as your kimber, you can get a springfield mil spec stainless 1911.
Thats what i'm getting, i'll have it paid off in a couple weeks.
Quite a functional difference between a target grade Kimber and a Mil-Spec though - and I have both...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Cough.....cough.....Ahhhh....I never had that problem with my COLT Commander 1911.

Jack............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #19

First, I think that rust on a 3 day old NIB firearm is unacceptable. That should not happen and it should be addressed. I would be just as pissed as you are.

However, I would hate to think that you felt like you had to ditch a firearm you seem to be very accurate with and have enjoyed pretty thoroughly until this unfortunate setback. While it shouldn't have to be done, barrel refinishing is rather simple and relatively inexpensive. I wasn't happy with the finish on the barrel of my recently purchased pistol and this is the route I took.

I'd recommend Robar, and I know at least one other person on this forum would probably support that recommendation. They were friendly and turnaround was much quicker than listed on their website. Refinishing my barrel definitely made me more pleased overall with my firearm.

In a perfect world this wouldn't be necessary, but sometimes work has to be done on new firearms.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Ok.

Crisis averted.

I went back to the dealer and spole with a professional individual that is very knowledgeable in the world of Kimbers. He owns several, and he is very familiar with this issue.

It is due to how the barrels are produced at the factory. When they are done, the very top finish of the barrel is a little prone to surface rust. It only affects the very outer layer of the barrel, so it's not too much of an issue.

He offered me this great polishing/protecting compound for the Kimber, and my barrel is back to a nice shine. All I have to do is apply this every 5-6 months while I'm cleaning the weapon, and I shouldn't have any further issues. The rust issue is common, and so is this fix. The factory does the same thing when people send the barrels back to them.

I am happy and satisfied. My barrel actually looks better than when I first got it. Plus, it's protectedf ro the time being. I also bought some dessicant to keep moisture out of the case it's in.

I reacted with emotion first instead of logic, and I apologize for that. Once I looked into the issue, and resolved it, it's really a non-issue. Just a quirk with the brand.

Everything is good to go.

People Like This