Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Hunting with my 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207driver View Post
Quote:
This whole thread is getting a little silly.
Here in Alaska we have some pretty large specimen of Moose, and some are regularly taken by bow and arrow, and I am talking record size. Not from a hundred yards in elevated blinds with 300 Ultra Mags, but at ground level within 15 to 25 yards of underbrush with a fletched shaft tipped with something sharp. It's all about shot placement, isn't it?

Back on page one the OP stated this was for back-up. Okay, I believe that the 1911 is much better back-up than a Bowie knife, or baseball bat. Don't you agree? With good placement one shot will dispatch a rhino, why not a Moose?

Now if it were me, I would carry something with a bit more power, but that's just me.
Yup-
He shud have stated the below in 1st post- I for one think he's coverin his azz now
Quote:
Back on page one the OP stated this was for back-up.

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
I still don't see the reason for a .45 as a back gun while Moose hunting in Maine. A .44 Mag, sure. ....... Moose hunting in Maine goes a little like this. Find a spot near a logging road where a Moose is likely to cross and wait. When the Moose is beside the logging road shoot it, field dress and it and haul it out with your 4 wheeler or tuck. The last thing you want is a dead Moose way deep in the woods and no good trail to get it out on. At least that's how we always hunted them.

It's nice that Maine allows hunting on roads. I don't think this was ever about technique, but about feeling good that there is something else in your pocket just in case. No that wasn't stated up front, just in the next reply to clarify his position.

Do we/you know anything about Luke13? May be a top competitor with the 1911 and feels real comfortable with it. Maybe he/she doesn't have a safe full of different calibers to chose from. Maybe doesn't trust the the 'ol 303 not to jam just when that big cat, or bear comes around the corner looking for a fight.

Maybe you feel real comfortable in the woods with just your rifle, and it never jams, fires a squib, or you never trip and get the muzzle full of mud, I know a couple of guys like that (but quite frankly, I won't hunt with them), and so far, they have come back each time they go out--so far. Wanting to cover the different scenarios is a cause for praise and support, not ridicule or condemnation.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #33

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Logging roads are roads and are on private land, and are not subject to the same rules a public road is. As far being prepared, that is just what you should do when you hunt, be prepared. In Maine we really don't have to deal with grizzlys or big cats. I was not trying to degrade the OP, only try and educate him a little. I never have been accused of being overly sensitive and say things as I mean them but I don't mean to insult anyone on purpose.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old_Crow Likes This 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #34

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It is legal and ethical to hunt from a logging path anywhere in the US. The fact that someone doesn't know this tells me they are not qualified to enter serious conversation about any kind of hunting. Well, hunting on arcade games at the mall is OK.

Label it as you please. Going after any kind of large and dangerous animal with anything you can fire from a 1911 platform is ludacris. Most people that take large animals with a bow have someone there with a large capable rifle to back them up. They don't wander out there alone and "plink" shoot a big critter with a bow. Even experts with a pistol have someone with a rifle to back them up.

You get a once in a lifetime opportunity to go out and hunt a moose. The trip, lodging, guide and other expenses are going to run up to several thousand. It's really ridiculous to even attempt to say that a 303 and a 45 acp is all this person can afford. You can cook up all the lame situations you want but that doesn't make them realistic.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #35

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
It is legal and ethical to hunt from a logging path anywhere in the US. The fact that someone doesn't know this tells me they are not qualified to enter serious conversation about any kind of hunting. Well, hunting on arcade games at the mall is OK.

Label it as you please. Going after any kind of large and dangerous animal with anything you can fire from a 1911 platform is ludacris. Most people that take large animals with a bow have someone there with a large capable rifle to back them up. They don't wander out there alone and "plink" shoot a big critter with a bow. Even experts with a pistol have someone with a rifle to back them up.

You get a once in a lifetime opportunity to go out and hunt a moose. The trip, lodging, guide and other expenses are going to run up to several thousand. It's really ridiculous to even attempt to say that a 303 and a 45 acp is all this person can afford. You can cook up all the lame situations you want but that doesn't make them realistic.
Me 'n Ole Crow don't agree on everything but i agree with most every word here ^^^

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With a Moose hunt in Main (by lottery) you're legally allowed to have a backup shooter with you, so a sidearm is not needed.

Hunted in Western Maine for many years. Cabin right on RT. 26 Upton. Hunted Rangeley a lot, Jackman 2x and the Allagash once. .45 ACP's stay in the cabin. The woods are thick and tough. To travel light is a must.

Only one time in over 20 years did someone in our camp draw a non-resident Moose Lottery. The young bull took three 220 gr. rounds from a 30-06. All broadside kill shots. First round didn't flinch. Second round just a stutter step. Moose are very tough critters.

S&W K-38 .38spcl, S&W 19-3, S&W 60, Sig P228
JD1969 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #37

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampco88 View Post
With a Moose hunt in Main (by lottery) you're legally allowed to have a backup shooter with you, so a sidearm is not needed.

Hunted in Western Maine for many years. Cabin right on RT. 26 Upton. Hunted Rangeley a lot, Jackman 2x and the Allagash once. .45 ACP's stay in the cabin. The woods are thick and tough. To travel light is a must.

Only one time in over 20 years did someone in our camp draw a non-resident Moose Lottery. The young bull took three 220 gr. rounds from a 30-06. All broadside kill shots. First round didn't flinch. Second round just a stutter step. Moose are very tough critters.
I grew up not far from those places. In an area called North New Portland and then later moved to North Anson.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 12-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #38

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
I grew up not far from those places. In an area called North New Portland and then later moved to North Anson.
Beautiful country. Tough on deer, as you know (too many coyotes/harsh winters) Moose thrive though. Each year see less and less deer/more Moose. Last deer taken was in Dunns Notch, Upton.. close to a cedar swamp edge. Next day saw at least five big, beautiful coyotes near the gut pile.

My buddy shot a 242 lb 8 pt mature buck first day in the Allagash hunt. Crazy cold up there. Maine only place I'm able to still use my big rifles!
S&W K-38 .38spcl, S&W 19-3, S&W 60, Sig P228

Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #39

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post

RBCD and its in a standard 1911. Recoil is lighter to me and standard spring.
Bro RBCD isnt foe hunting. The round is a prefragmented round. Powdered tungsten compacted into a round. It wont even go through an inch of dry wall. Its meant to hit and dump all its energy on impact. What you need with an animal that big is penetration to make it a clean kill.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #40

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewpns View Post

Bro RBCD isnt foe hunting. The round is a prefragmented round. Powdered tungsten compacted into a round. It wont even go through an inch of dry wall. Its meant to hit and dump all its energy on impact. What you need with an animal that big is penetration to make it a clean kill.
So I guess I should get rid of my RBCD rounds for my LWRC M6, I think you need to do a little more research on these bullets. They can punch through a car door I doubt drywall is an issue.