Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How to switch spring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to switch spring?

I have a 70 series and got a set of new grips. when I went to change the grips I noticed the tube with the spring in it for the safety catch and slide holder was loose, I ordered a new tube thinking it would come complete with spring etc. It is just the tube, can anyone tell me how to switch the spring?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRA_Luva View Post
I have a 70 series and got a set of new grips. when I went to change the grips I noticed the tube with the spring in it for the safety catch and slide holder was loose, I ordered a new tube thinking it would come complete with spring etc. It is just the tube, can anyone tell me how to switch the spring?

Take off the safety and pull the spring out. It will look like it's bent, it's made that way.

Changing the tube is the problem. You might want to take it to a gun smith.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #3

The tube that holds and captures the spring has two studs on it. They go through the frame and are staked in place. This takes in many cases a special staking tool. As for the spring it has two pins, one on each end.
The spring should have a bend in it so it dose not fly out of the tube.
The pins on the spring may be different lengths, put them back the same way they came out. That is left side and right side.
You will need a gun smith to stake the new tube unless you are o k with doing it.---------------the spring and pins should work from the old loose plunger tube. The slide holder is called a slide stop, the other is a thumb safety.
Hope I helped