Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   How to properly store my new 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/how-properly-store-my-new-1911-a-18176/)

feedsasquatch 09-17-2009 01:57 PM

How to properly store my new 1911

This has come up in a couple of other threads, so I thought I'd make a new one, instead of threadjacking other people's threads.

Here's my question. How do I properly store my guns? I have a Colt Combat Commander, Glock 23, and S&W 642. Normally I just leave them in sitting on top of 1/2" of foam, either in their respective boxes, or in a "safe" place. My Glock's been fine with this for 1/2 a year, but now that I have a nice Colt, I got to thinking about whether or not foam was the best thing for my guns to be sitting on all day...

What should I be doing to avoid rust over the long-term? Is it ok if I leave one or more of my guns in a leather holster at all times?

Thanks!

General_lee 09-17-2009 03:09 PM

I have heard that the foam padding in the carry cases will pull the oil away from the metal. I'm sure someone will come by and give better advice than I can.
My best advice to you is to keep an eye on it and oil it down regularly.

ktmboyz 09-18-2009 01:23 AM

I keep mine in pistol racks on the shelf in my safe. I usually wipe them with an oil wipe when I put the min there and it always has a dehumidifier in it.

CA357 09-18-2009 03:43 AM

You should store them at my house and avoid all the hassle.

If you aren't going for that, silicone gun socks work well. :cool:

canebrake 09-18-2009 04:04 AM

Get a gun rug for frequent use:

Bulldog Pistol Gun Case Nylon - MidwayUSA

For longer storage get a Bore Store:

Bore-Store Pistol Gun Case Revolver with 4" Barrel, Large Auto with 5" Barrel Double Sided Cloth Gray - MidwayUSA

And always have a couple of these Silicone Gun Cleaning Cloths:

Hoppe's Silicone Impregnated Gun Cleaning Cloth - MidwayUSA

truevil1313 09-18-2009 12:00 PM

I have always heard that both the foam and the leather would suck the oil right out of a firearm. Personally I have never had a problem. I keep all of my firearms wiped down with a thin layer of oil and store mine on shelves in my safe. Except for the one that is on my bedside table, and the shotgun in the bedroom closet, and the shotgun in the laundry room, and the handgun in my truck.:D,,,Ya never know where you will be when a bad guy decides to pay you a visit.

bobbyb13 09-26-2009 12:39 AM

Oiled lightly, cocked, and locked under your pillow.

MAGNUM44 10-23-2009 07:00 AM

Storing your guns

A nice light coat of EEZOX & than into a gun safe that has a moisture repellant in it.:cool:

NGIB 10-23-2009 09:48 AM

Like Cane, I use the pistol rugs a lot...

diggsbakes 10-23-2009 06:36 PM

I have an old shot gun that was stored in a foam case for a few years and now has very faint, but noticeable crate marks, matching the contour of the foam.

Now I use the silicone cloths for handguns. For rifles/shotguns (and I don't know if this is proper, but haven't had any negative results) I just go to Wal-Mart and buy a length of flannel from the fabric section, wrap the rifle in it and put it in the foam case. I also live in an area that doesn't have excessive humidity, so I never get rust.