How often tear down frame?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How often tear down frame?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default How often tear down frame?

I was cleaning my 1911's today and decided to remove the mainspring housing pin. Now, to let you know, I'm someone who just jumps right in and figures it out as I go along. The mainspring housing ends up popping off the end because of the hammer spring (OF COURSE, everyone here says). Hmm...a little more complex than I wanted to deal with this afternoon.

Well, I decided to just put the housing back, replace the pin, and return another day.

How often should one take the entire frame apart, down to all the parts, to clean and oil?

Every time? Only every few months? What?

Thanks.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I never take it down to the frame unless I'm refinishing the pistol.

I just remove the grips and field strip it, spray the entire thing down with Hoppe's Elite and clean it. Then I just lube it and reassemble.

Sometimes I just field strip it, wipe it down, hit the rails with some Q Tips, scrub the barrel and feed ramp, then lube and reassemble if I haven't put many rounds through it.

Before I leave the range, I usually wipe the exterior down with a gun wipe and run a Boresnake through the barrel a few times.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

On a new weapon or new to me, before I shoot it. Check for burrs and shavings and wipe off their lubricants and replace with mine.

My carry piece, every year around New Years day when I replace the smoke alarm batteries. It gets quite a bit of range time, like to check for normal wear and relube it. Every other time, (2 yrs) It gets new recoil, main and firing pin springs. Don't really need them, but they are creap insurance.

All the others, after the first time I try to do it every 4 or 5 years, unless they were rained on or brought in from the cold and they sweat. Then they get the full treatment right away.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I typically strip a weapon when I first get it, after breaking it in and after that....whenever the mood hits. My normal cleaning consists of field stripping and rinsing the frame with brake clean, allowing it to dry and then oiling so it gets some attention between complete breakdown.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 12-15-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

i detail strip my 1911's for a thorough cleaning about every 500 rounds. good time to inspect for cracks and excessive wear. same for non-1911's as well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #6

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

For those out there (like me) who are weak on some terminology, what do you mean, exactly, by "detail strip"?

No single part is left connected to any other single part? The slide left intact and the frame taken apart?

That portion of the frame that houses the firing pin and extractor is a little daunting for me.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
For those out there (like me) who are weak on some terminology, what do you mean, exactly, by "detail strip"?

No single part is left connected to any other single part? The slide left intact and the frame taken apart?

That portion of the frame that houses the firing pin and extractor is a little daunting for me.
"Detail strip" is taking the whole thing apart. I do it about once a year on most of my guns, but my 1911's are apart a bit more than that.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i detail strip my 1911's for a thorough cleaning about every 500 rounds. good time to inspect for cracks and excessive wear. same for non-1911's as well.

Damn Jon, I don't want to strip mine every weekend!!

Scubie

Old 12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

Likes Given: 17

I'm anal as hell. I strip it down to a bare frame after every range session. I just can't help myself.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

For me, about twice a year unless I've encountered a problem or I shoot a bunch of rounds in a single session...