How much should it cost to have a Barrel Bushing fitted to a Slide
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How much should it cost to have a Barrel Bushing fitted to a Slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much should it cost to have a Barrel Bushing fitted to a Slide

Ok i bought a RIA M1911-A1FS GI Full Size to customize to my likings little by little. I just got a couple of parts from Wilson Combat yesterday including a WC Stainless Steel Barrel Bushing. But it turned out to be not fitting it's just a a little to big to put in the muzzle end of the slide. So i was just wondering how much on average a gunsmith would charge me to fit it to my RIA Slide??????
What is the process they use to fit it by the way i am curious????? do they take off material by grinding or something. I tried to hammer it in with a rubber mallot and i got pretty far almost all the way in but not a 100% Success so i pulled it back out. Just wondering if i polish the bushing and lube it up do you think i can get it in the slide????? I mean the new SS Full Length Guide rod a #17 WC Spring do work with the factory RIA Barrel Bushing. But i would rather have this WC Barrel Bushing in.

If i have no success i will just pay a gunsmith i guess

thanks for any helpful DIY answers. Or Helpful Answers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMCHAMPION1988
Ok i bought a RIA M1911-A1FS GI Full Size to customize to my likings little by little. I just got a couple of parts from Wilson Combat yesterday including a WC Stainless Steel Barrel Bushing. But it turned out to be not fitting it's just a a little to big to put in the muzzle end of the slide. So i was just wondering how much on average a gunsmith would charge me to fit it to my RIA Slide??????
What is the process they use to fit it by the way i am curious????? do they take off material by grinding or something. I tried to hammer it in with a rubber mallot and i got pretty far almost all the way in but not a 100% Success so i pulled it back out. Just wondering if i polish the bushing and lube it up do you think i can get it in the slide????? I mean the new SS Full Length Guide rod a #17 WC Spring do work with the factory RIA Barrel Bushing. But i would rather have this WC Barrel Bushing in.

Number 1 rule of guns, DON't force it!
Gunsmith charges vary, I'd look up youtube videos on how to fit it. IF I'm not mistaken you can use sandpaper to fit it but I could be way wrong.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2988 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

You can fit it yourself if you have the patience.

Key is to be concentric with your sanding, clean everything off when trial fitting.

How does it fit on the barrel?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-12-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

Some gunsmiths do "piece work" and some charge by the hour. I found a smith that does piece work and got a really good deal. I had 9 new parts switched out,he also stripped off the parkarized finish and blued the gun and only charged $150

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 01-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A hammer should not be needed to fit new parts.

If the parts don't fit, then a little work is required.
Trigger bows can be slightly bent. Pins should be flush.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Barrel bushings require fitting. Judicious filing and sanding will do it but you have to be careful and trial fit it often. They also usually require honing to be a custom fit to the barrel unless you get a matched set.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #8

Clark Custom Guns charges $45, according to their website.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

When you consider shipping (Clark's won't pay for shipping to or from), the cost gets up there.

I don't know where "Heaven" is Champion, but if you are in the near area holler at me.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC