Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #551
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not mine, but I love these.. might have to get a pair for my new 1911 Im picking up..

”The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20.”
~Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #552

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Some constructive criticism from a fellow grip maker. Make sure the bottom edge of the grip follows the bottom edge of the pistol frame equally, whether that's completely flush or if you want a little gap. I noticed that the back edge of the grips is cut a bit higher than the rest. Also the cutout for the mag release is an important part to pay attention to.

Just a few pointers. I've made and sold close to 750 sets of grips and I'm still finding room for improvement. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #553

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Thanks for trying out a couple grips and the report as well, Jonas! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me fine tune the details that make them better.

That spalted set really looks to be right in the money except the mag release cutout is slightly low(did not think it was that low on my RIA I use for fitting). The left grip of the maple set looks good too, but I must've been asleep finishing the right!! Ugh! The bottom angle is off, the holes were about 1/16th off, mag release cutout way off. No more working in the shop at 2am!!

In all seriousness though. A few of these details are things I should not miss and others are things that keep getting better. Now that I've made some precise templates the small fitting variances should all but be gone. Now I can focus on finish details and material selection.

Whenever you're ready to swap those out for better ones, Jonas, just let me know!! HOSS, yours are in the way and should certainly be long enough to eliminate that dreaded gap you despise! Maybe even too long. Can't wait to see. Also just made up my first bobtail set for another gentleman from the other forum. Between the grips and my holsters, it's gonna get busy I think. No complaints here!!

Thanks again fellas!!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #554

A good final test is to put the two sides of the grips together, inside to inside. Then put the front edge of the grips of a flat surface. The check that the back edge and bottom edge are identical. You need to be able to put them together and not see any variation.

I do this several times throughout the entire process of making the grips.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #555

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Thanks for trying out a couple grips and the report as well, Jonas! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me fine tune the details that make them better.

That spalted set really looks to be right in the money except the mag release cutout is slightly low(did not think it was that low on my RIA I use for fitting). The left grip of the maple set looks good too, but I must've been asleep finishing the right!! Ugh! The bottom angle is off, the holes were about 1/16th off, mag release cutout way off. No more working in the shop at 2am!!

In all seriousness though. A few of these details are things I should not miss and others are things that keep getting better. Now that I've made some precise templates the small fitting variances should all but be gone. Now I can focus on finish details and material selection.

Whenever you're ready to swap those out for better ones, Jonas, just let me know!! HOSS, yours are in the way and should certainly be long enough to eliminate that dreaded gap you despise! Maybe even too long. Can't wait to see. Also just made up my first bobtail set for another gentleman from the other forum. Between the grips and my holsters, it's gonna get busy I think. No complaints here!!

Thanks again fellas!!
Awww, so you make holsters too -- We'll be talkin sum more my friend

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #556

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Awww, so you make holsters too -- We'll be talkin sum more my friend
Uh oh! Yeah, I'm tooling around with some leather. You can check out the progression here. Might be better at those than the grips.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/first-homemade-1911-holster-finished-66861/

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBaller71 View Post
Uh oh! Yeah, I'm tooling around with some leather. You can check out the progression here. Might be better at those than the grips.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/first-homemade-1911-holster-finished-66861/
Well shoot- I remember that thread now

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 07-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #558

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That has been my thought. Make a nice set of grips, with a matching, custom holster, maybe throw a hint of matching engraving on the slide. You got a nice one of kind, matching, custom set up. Heirlooms.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #559

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibewiggin View Post
That has been my thought. Make a nice set of grips, with a matching, custom holster, maybe throw a hint of matching engraving on the slide. You got a nice one of kind, matching, custom set up. Heirlooms.
They call that a BBQ rig!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
They call that a BBQ rig!
Yup- Its good for stirrin the beans too

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET