How about a "nice grips" thread? - Page 55
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #541
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xcoreyyyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 360
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I got a bandsaw, a miter saw, and a table saw. I do not know how these would work. I was going to ask him to cut more or less one of the thicker limbs off of the tree for me to use. Rather than the trees main trunk. I may just not even mess with it.

__________________
xcoreyyyx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #542
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bullittsam159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
Likes Given: 4

Default

I might be the only one but I love these grips and they took me forever to get ahold of. Made just for me.

image-3164246066.jpg

__________________
bullittsam159 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #543
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xcoreyyyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 360
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Those look pretty nice. Maybe not the yellow so much but the pattern is nice.

__________________
xcoreyyyx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #544
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I would get a few pieces from the guy. Make your first set as practice. While the other chunks dry. The wood will likely crack and warp. You can make a pretty cheap kiln to dry the chunks. I have heard of using a box, heater, fan, and dry-z-air to kiln dry wood. Worth a try. I have had that problem when I tried doing stuff like that on my lathe. It looks good, but as it dries, it splits. As for carving or engraving, to start off with, you can get the tools cheap at harbor freight, then move up from there. There is nothing cooler in my opinion than completely making a one of a kind product. Throw on the family name, and you have an heirloom to pass on for decades. Good luck and have fun.

__________________
ibewiggin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #545
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bullittsam159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 36
Likes Given: 4

Default

They're actually more green than they look in the color but they're for a race gun project so they have to be flashy lol

__________________
bullittsam159 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #546
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i would like to show off some very nice looking grips, made by another member here on the forum, Longballer71 (aka Dave). he has been very generous in allowing me to try out his grips for some feedback and input into making some very nice custom grips. i would like to say thank you to Dave and appreciate what he is doing and he is an asset to all of us gun owners.

i will be totally honest is my assessment of all grips i test for him. i have taken some pictures of his grips mounted on two of my 1911's. one blued and one on a brushed SS looking finish. they are much better looking than my pictures show them to be. i do like the way they look and feel, with the semi gloss finish. the grains of the grips are amazing and beautiful. as he has just started making these grips they are still somewhat prototypes and need some minor fitment adjustments. i have complete faith that when the fitment issues are worked out, that many who see them will want a pair of their own. i know i will! they are truly some very beautiful grips as you will see in the pictures.

the first set are Persimmon wood. first shown on a blued Remington R1 Enhanced and then shown on a American Classic Commander in brushed Chrome. the last set are Quilted Maple shown on the Commander.

1911-grips-001-003.jpg   1911-grips-001-006.jpg   1911-grips-001-010.jpg   1911-grips-001-016.jpg   1911-grips-001-019.jpg  

1911-grips-001-021.jpg  
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
LongBaller71 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #547
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i would like to show off some very nice looking grips, made by another member here on the forum, Longballer71 (aka Dave). he has been very generous in allowing me to try out his grips for some feedback and input into making some very nice custom grips. i would like to say thank you to Dave and appreciate what he is doing and he is an asset to all of us gun owners.

i will be totally honest is my assessment of all grips i test for him. i have taken some pictures of his grips mounted on two of my 1911's. one blued and one on a brushed SS looking finish. they are much better looking than my pictures show them to be. i do like the way they look and feel, with the semi gloss finish. the grains of the grips are amazing and beautiful. as he has just started making these grips they are still somewhat prototypes and need some minor fitment adjustments. i have complete faith that when the fitment issues are worked out, that many who see them will want a pair of their own. i know i will! they are truly some very beautiful grips as you will see in the pictures.

the first set are Persimmon wood. first shown on a blued Remington R1 Enhanced and then shown on a American Classic Commander in brushed Chrome. the last set are Quilted Maple shown on the Commander.
Good pics & report Axxe!
I talked to Longballer myself & he confessed he'd never made a full magwell set-
Guess what I asked him to make me
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #548
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Good pics & report Axxe!
I talked to Longballer myself & he confessed he'd never made a full magwell set-
Guess what I asked him to make me
thank you Hossfly, i am very pleased these grips and the beauty of them is amazing. pictures do not do them justice at all. i also like the fact that Dave makes them by hand, so every set of grips, even from the same wood panels will be definately unique. no two sets would be exactly alike. awesome.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #549
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HOSSFLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lufkin,Tx
Posts: 6,932
Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thank you Hossfly, i am very pleased these grips and the beauty of them is amazing. pictures do not do them justice at all. i also like the fact that Dave makes them by hand, so every set of grips, even from the same wood panels will be definately unique. no two sets would be exactly alike. awesome.
Awesome indeed
I have a pic of mine but want to wait till they're on my 1911
I sure wish i had the tallent of some of our friends here
__________________

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

HOSSFLY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #550
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Awesome indeed
I have a pic of mine but want to wait till they're on my 1911
I sure wish i had the tallent of some of our friends here
Hossfly, i made a couple of sets of grips for one of my 1911's a couple of years ago, they were okay, but nothing compared to what other members here have done. some of them are just impressive and beautiful.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The "where's 'bout you be" thread: State Specific: Ohio skullcrusher The Club House 16 06-22-2011 03:06 AM
The "New and Improved" Avatar Thread Supreme! CA357 The Club House 135 11-14-2009 07:48 PM
I hate to bother you all with this, but here is my "which gun for a n00b" thread. Iam99x Semi-Auto Handguns 35 01-04-2009 11:36 PM