How about a "nice grips" thread? - Page 55
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #541
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got a bandsaw, a miter saw, and a table saw. I do not know how these would work. I was going to ask him to cut more or less one of the thicker limbs off of the tree for me to use. Rather than the trees main trunk. I may just not even mess with it.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #542

Likes Given: 4

I might be the only one but I love these grips and they took me forever to get ahold of. Made just for me.

image-3164246066.jpg

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #543

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Those look pretty nice. Maybe not the yellow so much but the pattern is nice.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #544

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would get a few pieces from the guy. Make your first set as practice. While the other chunks dry. The wood will likely crack and warp. You can make a pretty cheap kiln to dry the chunks. I have heard of using a box, heater, fan, and dry-z-air to kiln dry wood. Worth a try. I have had that problem when I tried doing stuff like that on my lathe. It looks good, but as it dries, it splits. As for carving or engraving, to start off with, you can get the tools cheap at harbor freight, then move up from there. There is nothing cooler in my opinion than completely making a one of a kind product. Throw on the family name, and you have an heirloom to pass on for decades. Good luck and have fun.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #545

Likes Given: 4

They're actually more green than they look in the color but they're for a race gun project so they have to be flashy lol

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #546
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i would like to show off some very nice looking grips, made by another member here on the forum, Longballer71 (aka Dave). he has been very generous in allowing me to try out his grips for some feedback and input into making some very nice custom grips. i would like to say thank you to Dave and appreciate what he is doing and he is an asset to all of us gun owners.

i will be totally honest is my assessment of all grips i test for him. i have taken some pictures of his grips mounted on two of my 1911's. one blued and one on a brushed SS looking finish. they are much better looking than my pictures show them to be. i do like the way they look and feel, with the semi gloss finish. the grains of the grips are amazing and beautiful. as he has just started making these grips they are still somewhat prototypes and need some minor fitment adjustments. i have complete faith that when the fitment issues are worked out, that many who see them will want a pair of their own. i know i will! they are truly some very beautiful grips as you will see in the pictures.

the first set are Persimmon wood. first shown on a blued Remington R1 Enhanced and then shown on a American Classic Commander in brushed Chrome. the last set are Quilted Maple shown on the Commander.

1911-grips-001-003.jpg   1911-grips-001-006.jpg   1911-grips-001-010.jpg   1911-grips-001-016.jpg   1911-grips-001-019.jpg  

1911-grips-001-021.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #547

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i would like to show off some very nice looking grips, made by another member here on the forum, Longballer71 (aka Dave). he has been very generous in allowing me to try out his grips for some feedback and input into making some very nice custom grips. i would like to say thank you to Dave and appreciate what he is doing and he is an asset to all of us gun owners.

i will be totally honest is my assessment of all grips i test for him. i have taken some pictures of his grips mounted on two of my 1911's. one blued and one on a brushed SS looking finish. they are much better looking than my pictures show them to be. i do like the way they look and feel, with the semi gloss finish. the grains of the grips are amazing and beautiful. as he has just started making these grips they are still somewhat prototypes and need some minor fitment adjustments. i have complete faith that when the fitment issues are worked out, that many who see them will want a pair of their own. i know i will! they are truly some very beautiful grips as you will see in the pictures.

the first set are Persimmon wood. first shown on a blued Remington R1 Enhanced and then shown on a American Classic Commander in brushed Chrome. the last set are Quilted Maple shown on the Commander.
Good pics & report Axxe!
I talked to Longballer myself & he confessed he'd never made a full magwell set-
Guess what I asked him to make me

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Good pics & report Axxe!
I talked to Longballer myself & he confessed he'd never made a full magwell set-
Guess what I asked him to make me
thank you Hossfly, i am very pleased these grips and the beauty of them is amazing. pictures do not do them justice at all. i also like the fact that Dave makes them by hand, so every set of grips, even from the same wood panels will be definately unique. no two sets would be exactly alike. awesome.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #549

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thank you Hossfly, i am very pleased these grips and the beauty of them is amazing. pictures do not do them justice at all. i also like the fact that Dave makes them by hand, so every set of grips, even from the same wood panels will be definately unique. no two sets would be exactly alike. awesome.
Awesome indeed
I have a pic of mine but want to wait till they're on my 1911
I sure wish i had the tallent of some of our friends here

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Awesome indeed
I have a pic of mine but want to wait till they're on my 1911
I sure wish i had the tallent of some of our friends here
Hossfly, i made a couple of sets of grips for one of my 1911's a couple of years ago, they were okay, but nothing compared to what other members here have done. some of them are just impressive and beautiful.