How about a "nice grips" thread? - Page 45
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #441
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Trip you don't have a 1911????!!!!
Speechless!
No, unfortunately I don't. Money and work, neither one are very easy to come by right now

I've been working odd jobs here and there, making ends meet and able to put back a little bit. Been saving for a Disney World trip for the wifey, and with this year's tax return I expect to have enough to finally take the trip and get a 1911 at the same time. Been saving for over 5 years.

Of course the trip was the ultimate goal for the saving, and depending on how things go, I may just have to hold the gun purchase so I'll still have a cushion.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:10 AM   #442

Olympus do you use a lot of curly and or birdseye maple in your grips? if so what are you looking for in them what amount of coverage?

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #443

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke
Olympus do you use a lot of curly and or birdseye maple in your grips? if so what are you looking for in them what amount of coverage?
I do a lot of curly maple, but not that much in birdseye. I looked for exhibition grade grain in my woods.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #444

Here are a couple poor quality pics of my Llama with some Cherry grips I made...

photo019.jpg   photo018.jpg  

Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #445

Not too bad! Llama grips are little more difficult to make than they look. I made a set for a Llama and also a Ballestar Molina when I first started and it involved some skill. Great work and props for giving it a shot yourself.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #446

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dried, Dyed, Polished African Giraffe Bone, with one of a kind sterling silver inlays, made for me by Joe Perkins of Outlaw Grips.

Slab of Turquoise, made for me and hand fitted by Joe Perkins of Outlaw Grips

Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #447

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Couldn't help it, I had to share.

Honduran Rosewood Burl

NICE!

Quote:
You'll have to wait until I can source more wood. Right now I'm coming up with nothing, especially nothing that nice.
I have a descent sized Honduran Rosewood burl cap in my garage. Had it for more than 5 years (in Texas) so should be stable and dry. If you are interested, I can send you pics, size and weight. As with any burl cap...you really cannot tell what is inside until you slice it but the "eyes" should give you an idea.

I also have other burls (Arizona Desert Ironwood, Red Mallee, Brown Mallee, Maple, Manzanita, Mesquite, Narra/Amboyna, Cherry, Coolibah, Yellow box, Chittam, etc., etc.) My rarest is an American Chestnut burl but I am not parting with that. All of these are remnants of my past hobby (what's new).

I read about yellow wood...look for Chittam (smoketree burl)...it is one of the best looking yellow wood I've seen and keeps its color too. Don't use oil finish on it though. Another (if you can source it) is Agarita root...very nice but rarely reach big size. I did see some >12" wide

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88

NICE!

I have a descent sized Honduran Rosewood burl cap in my garage. Had it for more than 5 years (in Texas) so should be stable and dry. If you are interested, I can send you pics, size and weight. As with any burl cap...you really cannot tell what is inside until you slice it but the "eyes" should give you an idea.

I also have other burls (Arizona Desert Ironwood, Red Mallee, Brown Mallee, Maple, Manzanita, Mesquite, Narra/Amboyna, Cherry, Coolibah, Yellow box, Chittam, etc., etc.) My rarest is an American Chestnut burl but I am not parting with that. All of these are remnants of my past hobby (what's new).

I read about yellow wood...look for Chittam (smoketree burl)...it is one of the best looking yellow wood I've seen and keeps its color too. Don't use oil finish on it though. Another (if you can source it) is Agarita root...very nice but rarely reach big size. I did see some >12" wide
Sent you a PM.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by melensdad

Dried, Dyed, Polished African Giraffe Bone, with one of a kind sterling silver inlays, made for me by Joe Perkins of Outlaw Grips.

Slab of Turquoise, made for me and hand fitted by Joe Perkins of Outlaw Grips
Nice looking grips you've got there!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #450

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Nice looking grips you've got there!
Thanks, I have lots of guns with custom grips. Part of the fun of playing with 1911s is you get to dress them up a bit.