Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #301
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/FIETITANTIGRESS.jpg

Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #302

Can you give us at least some ball park figure of what kind of green it takea to be the owner of these beautiful grips???

Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911GripMaker View Post
The rarest wood in the world, snakewood!

Can you please give us some idea of the cost??

Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #304

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Well you just happened to pick the rarest wood in the world there, so price will be quite a bit higher for that set. Those are snakewood and they sell for $100 to $125 depending on the grain patterns in the wood. Price is all subject to the rarity of the wood and the uniqueness of the grain pattern. I can give you an average range though if you know the kind of wood you like. Prices go from $50 all the way up to the $125 mark for the snakewood.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #305

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Well you just happened to pick the rarest wood in the world there, so price will be quite a bit higher for that set. Those are snakewood and they sell for $100 to $125 depending on the grain patterns in the wood. Price is all subject to the rarity of the wood and the uniqueness of the grain pattern. I can give you an average range though if you know the kind of wood you like. Prices go from $50 all the way up to the $125 mark for the snakewood.
Can you do a set in the wood of my choice in a length say 1/8" longer than "normal" magwell grip style length? Every set i've tryed leaves a small crack between bottom of grip & top of magwell Not a big thing but i'm picky i guess

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #306

All of my grips will fit flush with the bottom of the frame. If your magwell sits lower, then it would really be a guessing game of how much longer the grips needed to be. You say about 1/8" longer, but if the game is closer to 1/16ths, then the grips won't fit. Then you'd have to send them back and I'd have to eyeball and guestimate on how much more to take off and in what spots, then I'd have to send them back to you. You'd have to test fit them again. If I still didn't take off enough wood, they still wouldn't fit and you'd have to send them back to me a second time. Or if I took off too much, you'd be left with a crack and we'd be back at square one where you didn't want to be.

Trust me on this, I've learned that it's much easier to just fit the grips flush with the bottom of the frame unless I have the actual pistol in my hand and I can handfit the grips to that specific gun and magwell combination. I've had to do that a few times as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #307

Quote:
All of my grips will fit flush with the bottom of the frame. If your magwell sits lower, then it would really be a guessing game of how much longer the grips needed to be. You say about 1/8" longer, but if the game is closer to 1/16ths, then the grips won't fit. Then you'd have to send them back and I'd have to eyeball and guestimate on how much more to take off and in what spots, then I'd have to send them back to you. You'd have to test fit them again. If I still didn't take off enough wood, they still wouldn't fit and you'd have to send them back to me a second time. Or if I took off too much, you'd be left with a crack and we'd be back at square one where you didn't want to be.

Trust me on this, I've learned that it's much easier to just fit the grips flush with the bottom of the frame unless I have the actual pistol in my hand and I can handfit the grips to that specific gun and magwell combination. I've had to do that a few times as well.
Well, I've been fitting grips for 40+ years (sure cant "make" them tho)- I figured if i had a set a bit longer i could just fit them to my gun-
But the ones i've bought lacked that "hair" really fitting flush with the bottom of my gun-
So never mind- I'll find someone who will do as i ask & pay them without ---
Well- all that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #308

You'll have to understand that I have no way of knowing what your woodworking capabilities are, having never met you and knowing absolutely nothing about you. 95% of the people that buy grips from me have no woodworking skills at all and will send back a set of grips to be adjusted that a little piece of sandpaper and 5 minutes would have fixed.

So if you are capable of doing the work and understand that you may need to do some minor sanding or filing, I'd be happy to make a set for you that are about 1/8th" longer. But I'm not a mind reader and experience has proven that unless I make the grips perfectly before shipping, they will be coming back because most people can't make modifications. But if that's still too much trouble, by all means continue your search.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #309

Quote:
You'll have to understand that I have no way of knowing what your woodworking capabilities are, having never met you and knowing absolutely nothing about you. 95% of the people that buy grips from me have no woodworking skills at all and will send back a set of grips to be adjusted that a little piece of sandpaper and 5 minutes would have fixed.

So if you are capable of doing the work and understand that you may need to do some minor sanding or filing, I'd be happy to make a set for you that are about 1/8th" longer. But I'm not a mind reader and experience has proven that unless I make the grips perfectly before shipping, they will be coming back because most people can't make modifications. But if that's still too much trouble, by all means continue your search.
Understand -
But a simple yes would have got you a order

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #310

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hossfly,

The thread is for showing grips. If you want to do business, do it in a PM please.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....