Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > How about a "nice grips" thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Another Mammoth tooth set with Gabon Ebony. I really like the mammoth tooth stuff.

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

rocshaman Likes This 
Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome work, Sarge43. I spent a little time browsing your website, I'll definitely get in touch with you when I buy my 1911.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #13

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My XSE with Stags;

I will be installing these Colt 150th 1986 medallions shortly. Sarge, what type glue should I use? The grips are real stag and the medallions are flat backed (no studs) and appear to be brass. I will be using a Forsner bit to make the divot.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Those are nice Canebrake! Very cool.
If I were you, I'd scuff up the back of the medallions pretty good with some 80 or 120 grit paper and then just use your walmart twin tube variety epoxy. As long as it's a slightly textured surface, it will hold well. It's not like there's going to be a force actively pulling them out anyway. The epoxy will be clear too, so in the event of any excess "squish", you can clean it up easily and completely before it sets and it will help fill any gaps without drawing attention. You know this, but just in case - make sure the hole is big enough to let the medallions drop freely in to place without having to be driven or pushed, but no bigger than that either. Either way can cause problems in materials that don't have a lot of "give" like stag. Hope to see pics when you get it done!
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 01-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #15

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
Those are nice Canebrake! Very cool.
If I were you, I'd scuff up the back of the medallions pretty good with some 80 or 120 grit paper and then just use your walmart twin tube variety epoxy. As long as it's a slightly textured surface, it will hold well. It's not like there's going to be a force actively pulling them out anyway. The epoxy will be clear too, so in the event of any excess "squish", you can clean it up easily and completely before it sets and it will help fill any gaps without drawing attention. You know this, but just in case - make sure the hole is big enough to let the medallions drop freely in to place without having to be driven or pushed, but no bigger than that either. Either way can cause problems in materials that don't have a lot of "give" like stag. Hope to see pics when you get it done!
Sarge
Thanks for the info bro.
Will do with the pics!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of some Venezuelan Rosewood. It's beuatiful, hard, and dense. Perfect for grips. Nice reddish brown color as well (not that you can tell from my horrible photography skills). Another beuatiful wood.

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
Here's a pic of some Venezuelan Rosewood. It's beuatiful, hard, and dense. Perfect for grips. Nice reddish brown color as well (not that you can tell from my horrible photography skills). Another beuatiful wood.

Those are really nice. I like how you left the knots in them, rather than using clean wood.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thank you Matt. I like getting the most eye appeal out of whatever wood I have. Speaking of eye appeal, check out Red Mallee Burl from Australia. Gorgeous wood with LOT'S of eye appeal. One of my personal favorites.

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

One of natures little oddities is "mineral stained" wood. This is all natural and happens when the tree or its water supply is exposed to elements that affect the color and turn it something other than normal for that type of wood. This is maple burl believe it or not, even though much of it looks like cherry. Pretty cool stuff courtesy of nature.
Enjoy!
Sarge

www.thefinergrain.com

Old 02-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Some of the non-wood variety grips

www.thefinergrain.com