Hornady TAP ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Hornady TAP ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Anyone use these? I bought the 200 gr +p FPD box of 20 from midway the other day to use these as a carry round. Shot a full mag to make sure they fed fine before I decide to use them and had one Failure to feed. Anyone had the same problem? For my Sig Stx 1911. I figure one out of nine ain't bad but a little hesitant now to carry with them. I've shot 200 rounds of ball through her already w/o any problems and I'm using my factory mags. Should I just scrap my factory mags for carry and get some wilson's? Or scrap the ammo. I've been checking out the cor bons as well any feedback on these? Any favorites ?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=551804

Thanks

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 09-25-2011 at 05:31 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

try the 230grn loading. 1911 were designed to run 230grn fmj. the slightly bigger round might be what the sig needs to run right.

my springfield 1911a1 has some issues with hp ammo as does my sig p220. but my ithaca 1911a1 from ww2, colt series 70, colt new agent and xdm 45 dont.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-25-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I have shot both of those ammo brands with no problems, but as stated by Jon, the 1911s do seem to prefer the 230 gr loads. I suggest the following for your Sig:

1) Shoot 300-400 more rounds of 230 gr ball ammo through her using the factory mags.

2) Clean her well and lubricate.

3) In the meantime, order some Wilson, McCormick, or Tripp magazines.

4) Continue to shoot your choice of various load choices, with both the new mags and your factory ones. Eliminate any continuously FTF or problematic mags.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

Yea I liked the 200 gr option better vs the 230 gr simply on muzzle energy alone with the TAP ammo. The 200 gr offers 494 ft. Lbs vs the 230 is 461 ft lbs. Its not a significant difference but a little, ballistic wise, will it make that big of a difference?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 09-25-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have always used Hornady Tap ammunition for my hand cannons.. I used it in my G31 as duty ammo,still use it in my G31 and im using it in my 1911. It is very good ammo, you wont go wrong with it

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I have always used Hornady Tap ammunition for my hand cannons.. I used it in my G31 as duty ammo,still use it in my G31 and im using it in my 1911. It is very good ammo, you wont go wrong with it
Thanks Wray, this is the first time I've bought the TAP ammo, I use the Buffalo Bore 147 gr +p+ in my G17 as my carry round and have had amazing results out of it. I think ill just pick up the 230 TAP +p when I order from midway tomorrow. I love living in Columbia, Mo just for that one reason....Midway. Place an order and go pick it up 30 min later and not pay shipping. SWEET!

~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Yea I liked the 200 gr option better vs the 230 gr simply on muzzle energy alone with the TAP ammo. The 200 gr offers 494 ft. Lbs vs the 230 is 461 ft lbs. Its not a significant difference but a little, ballistic wise, will it make that big of a difference?
personally im a firm believer in the heaviest bullet you can get that will still go a full 12" in ballistic gel.

faster bullet speed works better in expansion. however 230grn at 850fps is a time proven manstopping loading. over 100 years of data backs it up.

if your having reliability issues seek a different bullet profile. the reason i suggested trying the tap in 230 is you seem set on that bullet.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

personally im a firm believer in the heaviest bullet you can get that will still go a full 12" in ballistic gel.

faster bullet speed works better in expansion. however 230grn at 850fps is a time proven manstopping loading. over 100 years of data backs it up.

if your having reliability issues seek a different bullet profile. the reason i suggested trying the tap in 230 is you seem set on that bullet.
Oh I'm definitely not stuck on that by any means. I've heard really good things about the TAP. I was strictly basing my purchase solely on the muzzle energy.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 676

i use TAP in my xd .40. havent had any problems with it

Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

IMO Hornady makes the best pistol ammo, if i had to pick a 2nd i would say speer gold dot

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis