Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Holy **** SA.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/holy-sa-53335/)

drewposi 12-10-2011 08:34 PM

Holy **** SA....

So I would like to thank springfield armory for putting the ****tiest screws in my grips ever... Upon changing I had to drill 2 out because they are so soft... What a joke...

trip286 12-10-2011 08:36 PM

We have another member who had his front sight fly off after just a few rounds on a brandspanking new gun.

I'll still probably end up with one though.

HOSSFLY 12-10-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 648039)
We have another member who had his front sight fly off after just a few rounds on a brandspanking new gun.

I'll still probably end up with one though.

Dont worry, I have several spare screws & such when you get it :p:p

trip286 12-10-2011 08:55 PM

Thanks man!!

drewposi 12-10-2011 09:00 PM

Haha I love the gun just mad that they put freaking lock tight on the grip screw now I got to get new screws anyone got any suggestions on where to go? I was thinking ace hardware or home depot.. L dont feel like waiting a week to have my carry gun back in to carry mode.

trip286 12-10-2011 09:04 PM

Take the originals with you, and if they match up then go ahead. I'd personally buy some replacements from brownell's or midway, but like you said, that would take some time.

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but you're aware of the consequences of using the wrong screws and stripping the holes right? Totally not fun, and your gun will be down for much longer than if you just order the application specific screws from somebody.

JTJ 12-10-2011 09:21 PM

Ace probably has a better selection than HD. Look in the phone book for a fastener store. We have one that is up to their nuts in screws. Dont forget the gun shops or gun smiths.

Axxe55 12-10-2011 09:49 PM

also be aware of the length, if they protrude into the magazine well, they could bind the magazine. i had this happen when i used regular grip screws with a set of thin grips. had to use the stock grips until my new shorter screws arrived.

bartwatkins 12-10-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewposi (Post 648065)
Haha I love the gun just mad that they put freaking lock tight on the grip screw now I got to get new screws anyone got any suggestions on where to go? I was thinking ace hardware or home depot.. L dont feel like waiting a week to have my carry gun back in to carry mode.

That's strange...
What SA model is it?
I have an SA loaded and mine did not have lock tight on the grip screws. On the grip bushings (where they screw into the frame - yes) but not on the actual screws themselves.

drewposi 12-10-2011 10:25 PM

Champion operator. Would any basic colt grip screws be the same I can't seem to find any specs on them?