Hi, I'm new here
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Hi, I'm new here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi, I'm new here

Hey all,
I am a car/ gun nut that has a background in fabrication with a wide variety of materials and processes. I have been designing and making custom car parts for 10 years now. Recently I joined the 1911 club and after a long time searching for the right one found a Kimber SIS pro that fit the bill. Being the kind of person that never leaves well enough alone I started by making a set of custom laminated grips with digicam fabric for my SIS. Next I made a custom formed leather IWB carry holster for it. I didnt really like how the holster turned out, and while looking for new inspiration I came across the CLIP DRAW and decided to improve on that design.
I chose to use pre-preg carbon fiber to make my belt clip for several reasons. It is very lightweight, strong, and has an excellent spring like property to it. Unlike traditional wet lamination pre-preg has the resin already infused in with the carbon fiber, and the ultra high strength epoxy resin is activated by heat and not by introducing a chemical hardener. I designed it to have two carry positions depending on what I'm wearing and how I want the sidearm to sit, It turned out pretty well and I have been carrying with it for a few weeks now. I think that it is especially beneficial for smaller guys like me who have a hard time concealing pistols and every bit of slimness helps. Enough talk here are some pictures.

High carry

Low carry

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice! I always like when someone adds a custom touch to make something their own, but it's even better when it's functional. The Kimber looks great with your custom grips too.

Welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, please stop by the Introductions section and say hi to the whole group.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

That is one nice looking pistol. I'm really liking the looks of the grips, and the clip looks like it works really well and is pretty nice looking to boot. Nice job.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the FTF Community from just down the I-5 Corridor.

Interesting take on the IWB carry mode. That is something that definitely needed some improvement as the initial design was definitely not the best. Well done.

JD

Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Very nice looking gun Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoy my SIS, and had a chance to directly compare it to several other popular guns at the range and it really solidified my love for the 1911 platform. The trigger and ergonomics are perfect for me, and its the only pistol I have shot that is just as easy and accurate offhand as with both.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Love the grips, Great Intro., Welcome to the FTF!!

People get the government they deserve.