Help Please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Help Please

Hello members! I need help with identifying this firearm. My friend has two 1911's that were passed down from his father (now deceased). I have read and done some research but I need additional info on the gun. It is some opinions that the gun should be left in the original condition and as it may be valuable as a collector piece I would like your opinions on the history and how to proceed with the gun (refinish etc. and Value). I am learning more about the 1911's from you guys and value your info, ecspecially you Cane! Any info would be appreciated. If you guys need more pics I can put those up as well.
It is stamped United States Property M1911A1 U.S. ARMY, the other side is stamped Remington Rand INC. Syracuse NY USA.

1911-001.jpg   1911-002.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #2

I don't know much about the vintage 1911's, other than to not modify them in any way. From my understanding, the original Rands can be worth a decent amount of money. If you're looking for a 1911 that you can modify and or customize, then sell that one, and buy a new production.

That's about all the info I have for you, others will be along shortly though.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Old Colt

Remington Rand was one of the subcontractors the US Govt. used to make 1911 during WWII. The Colt Co could not keep up with the need during the war and used several other subcontractors as well
1.Colt
2.Singer
3.Springfield
4.Union Switch and Signal
5.Ithica
8.North American Arms
9.Remington UMC

DO NOT change your relic in ANY way if you wish to maintain the collectors value of the pistol.
BTW, I think Remington was the 2nd largest producer so the value is less than if it were some of the others.

"Those who would give up essential freedoms for a little temporary safety, deserve neither freedom nor safety." Ben Franklin

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life

Last edited by kvtcomdo; 09-25-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9516 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

PLEASE do NOTHING to that pistol, other than use a clean soft cloth and some light oil, and wipe it down. A check of COMPLETED auctions for Remington-Rand 1911A1s over at gunbroker.com showed selling prices of about $1100 to $2000.

That means that was not the ASKING price, but the SELLING price.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5995 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

without having very high quality close ups of all markings including stampings on the barrel its hard to tell but the wear on the slide and frame are consistant so its highly liekly its all original and a very valuable gun. refinishing or changing anything (except springs and you should keep the old ones in a baggie) will ruin any value. refinishing collector items like that brings a 2000$ gun to about a 250$ beater of no real value

that is not an improvement in any book.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help Please.

I carried a Remington-Rand in Heidelberg, Germany in the mid-1970's, guarding the Commander-in Chief (CINC), Deputy CINC, and Chief of Staff, USAREUR (US Army Europe). I went to draw it from the arms room one day only to find that the firing pin had been broken for a long time (we usually just used a few pistols to qualify the MP company, since there is no adjustment on "zero" for the sights!) sure glad i didn't have to depend on it to save me or the Generals, as unless the bad guys were co-operative and within beating range, it would not have helped! wktipton, SSG, USA (Military Police), Retired

Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Glore, your Remington was part of a 110,400 pistol build in 1945.

The Remington Rand Story: Remington Rand was awarded its first order on March 16th, 1942, for a total of 125,000 1911A1 pistols. The company had no experience building pistols at the time it was awarded the contract. Remington Rand formed a new division (Remington Rand "C" Division) to take charge of building the pistols. Remington Rand "C" Division converted a vacant plant into a modern pistol manufacturing facility. The plant was located on Dickerson street in Syracuse, N.Y and was once used for building typewriters,

Initially some manufacturing equipment was not available. This caused Remington Rand to acquire parts from other sources to complete the early pistols. They purchased barrels from High Standard, Colt, and Springfield Armory; Disconnectors from US&S; Grips safeties from Colt; and Slide stops from Colt and Springfield Armory (2,865 left over from WWI). Remington Rand "C" Division inherited much of the documentation, tooling, and machinery that originally was used by The Singer Manufacturing Co. in their Educational Order. Consequently some of the parts of the early pistols were made using Singer supplied tooling and fixtures. Careful examination of Early Remington Rand pistols will reveal striking similarities in some of the parts to Singer made parts such as the triggers and mainspring housings. The first 255 production pistols where accepted by ordinance inspectors in November of 1942. Initial shipments appeared to perform satisfactorily, but subsequent tests performed by Ordnance Inspectors revealed serious problems with parts interchangability. In March 1943 James Rand Jr., stopped production due to a high rate of Parts Interchangeability Test failures. Only after a change in management and a thorough review of the inspection and manufacturing operations was production finally resumed in May of 1943. Throughout production Remington Rand aggressively attempted to innovate and improve the production of 1911A1 pistols.

By March of 1945 they where building the lowest price pistol in the war effort and quality was considered second to none. By the end of the war Remington Rand had produced over 875,000 pistols, almost as many as Colt (628,808) and Ithaca (335,467) combined.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello