Help me spend my $.. lol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help me spend my $.. lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me spend my $.. lol

Okay so I'm sure this has been answered before, but the forum search function does not work properly on my phone, and i've skimmed through a fair amount of threads here and other random forums from google searches and haven't been able to find one that answers my exact question. That being said, my apologies if this post makes those who reply sound like broken records. I'm looking to buy not only my first 1911,but my first firearm, period. I've shot about 15 different handguns in the past 3 months, and after shooting the 1911 and reading up a bit on these forums, I have to have one. Now the gun i shot was a Springfield Armory chambered in 45ACP,not too sure on the exact model, but it was going for about $2600 at the gun store. Unfortunately, my budget is $700 max, and I should probably go for something in 9mm, seeing as I will be shooting it a heck of a lot. The Taurus PT1911 seems to be a pretty sound choice in this budget, from what I gather. Does anyone have any experience in how the taurus stacks up to similar 9mm 1911s like the STI spartan or some of the RIAs? Thanks!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You can get some good 1911's for the $700 you have. .45's will cost more to feed than a 9mm, though. If you want to shoot a lot and save a little I would suggest a 9mm. You can get some really good ones for $700, and probably for 200-300 less than that.

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911's.
Look around for used and you can save some real money.
I use armslist.com and keep an eye out for bargains.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Taurus PT1911 in .45 and while I had a few gripes with it (mainly parts such as the sights being oddball dovetail size), it has proven to be 100% reliable. Naturally I slicked it up & hand fit the slide/frame etc. Mine will feed an empty case from the mag.

Another option is the new Ruger SR1911. They just came out with it and I'm on the waiting list for 1. It's very reasonably priced as well.

If you want adjustable sights give the Springfield Armory Range Officer a long hard look. It comes from the factory with match quality fitting and match sights.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

I'd love to buy one in 45 but I know the price of ammo will add up all too quickly. I'm leaning towards the PT1911 in 9mm, was just wondering if RIA or STI would be a better choice, or if it all comes down to preference and what the gun's intended use is (this will be my range toy obviously, but would like to compete one day). Do any of these models offer more than the other in terms of upgrades?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Taurus comes in 9mm and are pretty "decked out" as they come from the box. I haven't had much experience with the RIAs. That might be a good thing since if I haven't gotten them in my shop (before I retired) for repair then not that many around my area have needed it.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

CP,

I probably would take a look at the New Remington 1911 Pistol also. Runs in the price range you mentioned. And would have warranty being new. I have looked at one but never shot it. I assume it is a decent pistol since it is Remington. I sure liked the looks and the feel of the one I looked at. Of course the Kimbers, Rock River Arms and Springfields are great but out of your price target range even used normally. But shop around you may find a great deal! But check the pistol out first and shoot it to make sure you are not getting someone else's troubles!!!! Or have a return agreement in writing!

Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

RIA is starting to look like they are having some QA problems. There are a couple of threads about problems with RIA.

Check some of the on-line auctions and don't discount the idea that there are a lot of good quality used firearms that have had any previous problems worked out.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What I really like about the 1911's is that you can tweak it a lot after purchase.. $700 now, but in a few months you can modify something.. a few months later, modify something else. Start with grips...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 139

You can't go wrong with an STI. The Spartan is available in 9mm. Terry.

Live free or die

Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #10

yes i have heard good things about STI as well. all of the 1911's at the local gun store are out of my price range, so it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to handle or shoot the gun before purchasing, unless i happen to run into someone with the gun. my thought was to just do as much research as possible and make my purchase based on that. is this a bad idea? lol