Help Me Pick A Few Upgrades
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help Me Pick A Few Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Me Pick A Few Upgrades

I would like to make a few upgrades to my Colt 1911 Government Model, and I want yall to help pick out some upgrades. I have attached a pic of my gun, and HERE is about what I want it to look like.

Basically, I want to add these:
Skeletonized Trigger
Spur Hammer
Beavertail Grip Saftey
Nicer Grips

I am not set on any of these, so if you have any suggestions that you think might look a little nicer, please let me know. I know I want the grips to be a darker color. I am not sure if I want to go with a black trigger, safety, hammer to kinda mix things up a little. Basically I just want to "personalize" my Colt a little bit, make it stand out from the rest.

Also, what are some good quality companies? I know Wilson Combat is good, but what others would you recommend? What am I looking at spending to upgrade all of this?

colt-1911.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Brownell's will have everything you need. A question for you:

Are you looking for a drop-in beavertail or do you intend to grind the frame to fit one? I recently installed a Wilson drop-in on my Norinco and it came out OK. I did not want to modify the frame tangs which is why I went with this option. It doesn't look as nicely finished as a properly fitted one - but it works well.

There are tons of different trigger styles out there so you just choose what you like. Ditto with grips, tons out there, it just depends what you want.

If you're going with a drop-in, I'll be happy to post the Brownell's part numbers for you.

Check this thread to see the tinkering I did on mine...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-tinkering-17820/

Last edited by NGIB; 09-28-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Ed Brown and Cylinder & Slide make some quality parts. King's used to, but I don't know what their quality is like anymore.

Personally, I prefer a Commander style hammer with a beavertail. JMHO

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
I would like to make a few upgrades to my Colt 1911 Government Model...

Basically, I want to add these:
Skeletonized Trigger
Spur Hammer It has a spur hammer, do you want a commander style?
Beavertail Grip Saftey
Nicer Grips

I am not set on any of these, so if you have any suggestions that you think might look a little nicer, please let me know. I know I want the grips to be a darker color. I am not sure if I want to go with a black trigger, safety, hammer to kinda mix things up a little. Basically I just want to "personalize" my Colt a little bit, make it stand out from the rest.

Also, what are some good quality companies? I know Wilson Combat is good, but what others would you recommend? What am I looking at spending to upgrade all of this?
Do you want to modify the gun or just make non-destructive changes?

Check this for beavertail http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/index4.html#post75596

Grips and MSH w/mag-well http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/index4.html#post75596

More http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/index5.html#post74461

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The three things I would change on your gun;
1. Commander style hammer
2. Drop in beaver tail
3. Narrow extended thumb safety

None of these items require any modification to the gun, and you should be able to do all three with $125 or so. The grips are are a whole different story. You can keep the perfectly serviceable factory grip, get some $30 rubber grips, $75 wood or enginered material, or spend $300 and go laser. All that said, I like the half smooth-half checkered wood grips (Nighthawk Custom has several styles/colors/materials to choose from).

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.