Help me find a firearm that I sold
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help me find a firearm that I sold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default Help me find a firearm that I sold

I purchased a 1911 several years ago and had to sell it a few months later to keep the kids fed. It was a Commander length 1911 in 45 that was made in Brazil. I think that it was called Blue Ridge? All I know is that it shot wonderfully and was cheap. I was told that it was made on some old machines that this company bought from Colt. I don't know if that is true or not, but it shot great. I could not think of another firearm that I would want to carry, but I can't find any information out about it on the net, so I thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I purchased a 1911 several years ago and had to sell it a few months later to keep the kids fed. It was a Commander length 1911 in 45 that was made in Brazil. I think that it was called Blue Ridge? All I know is that it shot wonderfully and was cheap. I was told that it was made on some old machines that this company bought from Colt. I don't know if that is true or not, but it shot great. I could not think of another firearm that I would want to carry, but I can't find any information out about it on the net, so I thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows what I am talking about.
Hard to tell from your post whether you bought new several years ago or acquired an older gun. If new many Taurus and Springfield Armory 1911 slides bear Made in Brazil markings. Older pistols i.e. pre-1970 that could have been made on Colt machinery were the Sistema. I am not a 1911 guy, just did a little research and came up with that. Some true 1911 historians may be along shortly...including our in-house Colt historian.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Enter cane in 3...2...1...

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Instead of Brazil could this 1911 have been from Argentina? Way back in the 1920s I think Colt had a plant in Argentina and turned it over or licensed it to Argentina soon after. The Argentine Colt Sistema Model of 1927 was made in this time (mentioned by Jpyle above). Then an economized 1911, the Ballester-Molina, was made there in the '40s and '50s I think. In the '70s I bought a beat up Ballester-Molina for $50 and it was a darn reliable 45ACP. Sloppy as heck but shot right along with my Colt. Loaned the BM to a buddy and never got it back. Always missed it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #5

I don't think that would be it. I bought it new around 2005. It was pretty much A GI model, but it was commander length and had a skeletonized hammer and trigger. Other than that, it had the rounded sides and the small rear sight. It had wood grip panels and had a standard finish. I think it had a 8 round magazine. It was the only one I have ever seen and I want another one really bad. It shot about 2 inches low and 2 inches left when I had it. The day before I was going to take it to the gunsmith to have a updated set of sites installed, I had a family emergency and had to sell it in order to keep everybody fed and warm. I cannot for the life of me remember what the exact name was, but it was either "blue" something or something "ridge".

Thanks for all the help everyone...keep it coming if you all think of anything else. If God chooses that I need another one, then someone here will be able to point me in the right direction...if not, I will find something else that is equal to it

Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Springfield's lower end 1911s are fully manufactured and assembled in Brazil by IMBEL. The higher end models are made in the U.S. using the same Brazilian-made frames and slides. The more expensive the Springer, the more US fitting and attention to detail is applied.

I'd put money on it being a Springer GI/Champion.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 07-05-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

This is what Cane is referring to...a good place to start.

http://www.m1911.org/prodte30.htm

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

The Argentine Colt (Modelo 1927 IIRC) is a clone of the 1911AI. The Ballester-Mollina looks a bit like a 1911, but is different mechanically- pivoting trigger, no grip safety, etc. The "Blue" MIGHT have been Blue Sky. Military arms imported into the US must be marked with the name of the importer- and Blue Sky imported- and re-imported- several tons of firearms to the US.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #9

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Yes, my Ballester-Mollina definitely was a simplified 1911 with the differences c3shooter mentioned. Parts are all different IIRC except for magazines and the recoil spring. I had FTFs with mine until I replaced the original spring with a GI recoil spring then no more problems.

Probably no help but we should mention Taurus of Brazil, they make 1911 clones.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #10

I am at the point after searching the net and asking everyone that I know that there is a good chance that I won't ever find it

I don't know too much about firearms dealers, but is there a chance that the gun dealer would still have the paper I filled out? That would have all the information on there wouldn't it?