Help me decide - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help me decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
OK, When I first started shooting I had a 1911, don't remember exactly what, anyway I wanted another one so a few years ago I purchased a new SS colt, I still have not fired it, I am thinking of sending out for the proper adjustments, bushing, etc. Should I or should I just keep in the box for the grandkids, I also have an unfired 2 series sa army, which will definitely stay that way. Second question if I make a shooter out of this what exactly should be done to it...I await the answers from the experts. thanks guys

I don't think I could go a week without trying out a new gun.

Put some lead down range and see how it performs before doing ANYTHING!

I'm no expert, but a better trigger and more precision parts and sights helps improve accuracy greatly. What helps even more than that is TRIGGER TIME!! Shoot the thing or send it to me for evaluation.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I am 63 years old and can tell you the serial number on my first gun I purchased.
[INDENTAll you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!"[/B][/COLOR][/I][/INDENT]
My hand was never retracted, we don't need to start over, just ask questions with substance. I would be glad to share my knowledge of Stainless Steel Colts with you.

I'm a retired engineer. That's why I get headaches when I need to do more than what's efficient, or erroneous.
This banter has been very educational for me, I see you are a true Gun Nut. No offense intended. I have more important things in my life than to remember serial numbers on guns. My memory is not what it use to be anyway, as a matter-of-fact after I signed off last night I opened the safe and found a couple of pieces I had completely forgotten about.
This morning I noticed that there were a couple of answers to my original post rubbing my nose in the fact that I have not fired my new guns, I took them the way they were intended, in fun. There was also a suggestion of sights and trigger, that is what I was looking for and greatly appreciated. I will go with those suggestions as well as going to the range, which I concede is a very good idea. That said, you really should do something about your headaches, I just read this and you Cane may enjoy it....

An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."

He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week."

The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want."

Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."

Old 05-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I don't think I could go a week without trying out a new gun.

Put some lead down range and see how it performs before doing ANYTHING!

I'm no expert, but a better trigger and more precision parts and sights helps improve accuracy greatly. What helps even more than that is TRIGGER TIME!! Shoot the thing or send it to me for evaluation.
Thank you great suggestion and your right I need to get to the range

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I rotate my handgun inventory quite often and I almost always have a gun or two that I haven't fired yet sitting in the safe. I used to get very excited about the new toys and head straight to the range but not so much lately...

Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I rotate my handgun inventory quite often and I almost always have a gun or two that I haven't fired yet sitting in the safe. I used to get very excited about the new toys and head straight to the range but not so much lately...
I am glad to hear, I'm not the only one, I actually have I think about 8 that I haven't done anything with yet. OK guys let me have it...
For reason, I lost interest in the sport, but not the love of weapons, anyway I have decided to get back out there and enjoy shooting again.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #16

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I have more important things in my life than to remember serial numbers on guns.
"I am 63 years old and can tell you the serial number on my first gun I purchased."
I purchased my first gun in 1967 when serial numbers were not required. It didn't have one.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
"I am 63 years old and can tell you the serial number on my first gun I purchased."
I purchased my first gun in 1967 when serial numbers were not required. It didn't have one.
I have a few like that as wellThe good old days

Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #18

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I have a few like that as wellThe good old days
ALSGUN, I think your skin is getting thicker. That's a good thing.

I have that effect on people.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #19

I'm here to have fun, learn, share, help protect our rights of this great country we live in. learned a long time ago, never hold a grudge, move on, but always say your piece.
so hope we be friends one old fart to another.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Mot all the Colts I've seen made in the last few years were a lot more accurate than the GI models carried around back when. THe last one I bought was a SS Combat Commander that was very accurate out to about 40 yards. It would more than likely save you some money to take a little trigger time with the new weapon before spending money on parts you don't know yet if you need. Stick your pinky into the barrel (holding your free hand around the slide) and see how much wiggle it has. If you don't have a lot of play there then the fit is pretty good and that will be one part that you can not have to pay for just yet anyway.