Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help me decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me decide

OK, When I first started shooting I had a 1911, don't remember exactly what, anyway I wanted another one so a few years ago I purchased a new SS colt, I still have not fired it, I am thinking of sending out for the proper adjustments, bushing, etc. Should I or should I just keep in the box for the grandkids, I also have an unfired 2 series sa army, which will definitely stay that way. Second question if I make a shooter out of this what exactly should be done to it...I await the answers from the experts. thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

They put the improper bushing in it at the factory??

Do you think the adjustments went bad sitting in the box?

I think I'm getting a headache.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2640 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

I have a problem with my second language, German. If I don't use it, I lose it. Enjoy what you have. It makes for a great story. "Yeah, Grandpa shot this........"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
They put the improper bushing in it at the factory??

Do you think the adjustments went bad sitting in the box?

I think I'm getting a headache.
DEAR SIR, You may be a moderator but that does not give you the right to ridicule a fellow member, I was trying to ask for some info on accurizing a pistol which would include tighter barrel bushings, new trigger or modification, possible slide mods or other work and just out and out tuning, if you are not familiar with this you should just say so rather than trying to be witty and hurting someones feelings, I may be new but I have a lot to offer and I have been around weapons for 50 years. I have not broken any rules and I have been polite and tried to be involved in a few discussions so far. Again just because you are a mod is no excuse for your behavior and if you can't behave yourself, you should step down...I do not mean to offend you but you sir have offended me. I have asked a legitimate question and expect a little respect especially from a mod.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
DEAR SIR, You may be a moderator but that does not give you the right to ridicule a fellow member, I was trying to ask for some info on accurizing a pistol which would include tighter barrel bushings, new trigger or modification, possible slide mods or other work and just out and out tuning, if you are not familiar with this you should just say so rather than trying to be witty and hurting someones feelings, I may be new but I have a lot to offer and I have been around weapons for 50 years. I have not broken any rules and I have been polite and tried to be involved in a few discussions so far. Again just because you are a mod is no excuse for your behavior and if you can't behave yourself, you should step down...I do not mean to offend you but you sir have offended me. I have asked a legitimate question and expect a little respect especially from a mod.
Dear Sir,

Anyone that needs to send a gun in for repair before they have shot it deserves to have their feelings hurt.

You want my respect? Then ask questions that have some substance to them.

I am witty because I have the experience to recognize a poser. Wisdom is often mistaken for sarcasm by those who have none.

How do you know this NIB Colt has any issues until you send lead downrange.

If I offended you, I see you have two options, Nut Up or go over to a paintball forum and impress those that will listen to you.

Do us all a favor and spend the next month reading the knowledge on this site. It should provide you all the info you need to make 'possible slide mods or other work'.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #6

You obviously don't know what your talking about, I have about 50 weapons from flintlock on up, On my post I said I owned a 45 before and I am familiar with them, anyone that knows any thing knows you can purchase a gold cup ready for sport shooting, which will be very accurate, mine is not a gold cup but i want an accurate target pistol so i posted a legitimate question and it appears you are on a power trip. you are wrong and not mature enough to admit it. Being a mod means moderate not ridicule, I can take jokes just like anybody but you are not joking and your info is erroneous.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 AM   #7

Quote:
You obviously don't know what your talking about, I have about 50 weapons from flintlock on up, On my post I said I owned a 45 before and I am familiar with them, anyone that knows any thing knows you can purchase a gold cup ready for sport shooting, which will be very accurate, mine is not a gold cup but i want an accurate target pistol so i posted a legitimate question and it appears you are on a power trip. you are wrong and not mature enough to admit it. Being a mod means moderate not ridicule, I can take jokes just like anybody but you are not joking and your info is erroneous.
Dear Sir,

I bow to you're superior knowledge.

One thing though, what was the make of your first 1911?

- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Dear Sir,

I bow to you're superior knowledge.

One thing though, what was the make of your first 1911?
I don't claim to have superior knowledge that is why I ask questions but I am not ignorant and I am certainly not a poser, My current one is a colt ss model as I said my original one I do not remember exactly it was a viet nam bring back 1911a1 I think it was remington in olive green, it was given to me by an inlaw and later returned to him, which is the reason I wanted another one, I liked to fire it but it is just to big as a carry weapon and I purchased my new one about 3 or 4 years ago but it just got put in the safe. anyway thats why I asked these questions, I do not mean to come down hard on you but you were wrong with your comeback. I offer you my hand, lets start again.
al

Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
I don't claim to have superior knowledge that is why I ask questions but I am not ignorant and I am certainly not a poser, My current one is a colt ss model as I said my original one I do not remember exactly it was a viet nam bring back 1911a1 I think it was remington in olive green, it was given to me by an inlaw and later returned to him, which is the reason I wanted another one, I liked to fire it but it is just to big as a carry weapon and I purchased my new one about 3 or 4 years ago but it just got put in the safe. anyway thats why I asked these questions, I do not mean to come down hard on you but you were wrong with your comeback. I offer you my hand, lets start again.
al
I am 63 years old and can tell you the serial number on my first gun I purchased.

My M1911A1 is an Ithaca built in 1944 and carried from Normandy 1944 to Dachau 1945 by my father.

My stainless steel Colt is a model O1070XSE 5" Government. Thats how I refer to my weapons and have a problem with someone telling me they have a 3 or 4 year old ss colt that they have never shot but want to fix. It's difficult to give suggestions to someone that has a ss colt with vapor issues.

My idea of helping members does not require me to ask 10 questions of the OP to find out what they asked.

You need to go back and read this post:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/new-guy-south-25769/#post266129
"All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!"
My hand was never retracted, we don't need to start over, just ask questions with substance. I would be glad to share my knowledge of Stainless Steel Colts with you.

I'm a retired engineer. That's why I get headaches when I need to do more than what's efficient, or erroneous.

- orangello

Old 05-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It would be a crime to let any gun, let alone a stainless Pony like yours, go unfired. And even more of a crime to muck with it before then. Take that beauty out to the range, get a couple thousand rounds down the barrel, and if you still feel that the gun is holding you back accuracy-wise, ask the question again. In the meantime, stick around, read, and offer your advice where you feel you can be useful.

And if you're going to argue with someone, especially someone as knowledgeable and articulate as Cane, it would go better for you if you would use punctuation and capital letters. Just sayin'.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm