Help me build a quality milspec 1911 from scratch... - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help me build a quality milspec 1911 from scratch...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have received my Brownells catalog. Now i will get a hold of one of the above named books and read a little. I hope to start putting something together by August.

JH

Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #42

You know you might want to try a cast frame and slide first, as you said get comfy with the whole process and graduate to a forged assembly once you master the process...sounds like your serious about this. Good luck!

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmillenia View Post
You know you might want to try a cast frame and slide first, as you said get comfy with the whole process and graduate to a forged assembly once you master the process...sounds like your serious about this. Good luck!
Any reason a cast frame and slide would be better for the first shot?

JH

Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #44

No...personally I'm a forged pistol person but as a first time entry level build, the cast option is considerably less money and will allow you to hone your skill and for all intent and purpose should work just fine. Once you feel confident, get the hard core parts and build away. If money is no object, hell have at it..you can also look at the prefit slide to frame option but you would deprive yourself of an opportunity... But I wish you luck, I do the same kinda stuff, jump in and try to build a rifle or pistol, I've had pretty good luck with it but without the proper tools, it's like taking a block of steel and a hand file and building a rifle...it can be done but it takes comittment...It's our way. Keep us posted.

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #45

Ahha, I see. Yeah unfortunately money is most certainly an object. I think i may take your advice. For the first one i would rather spend less and learn more, when i think i can do it justice i will spring for high end parts. Also i considered pre-fit parts, but as you said I'd be missing out on some valuable practice and experience.

One of the bigger cost hurdles i am seeing right now is the specialized tools i will be needing.

All in all, i can't wait to get into this.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #46
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Check out essex firearms. You could have a frame shipped to your FFL holder. Good Luck!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Tags
custom 1911, project