Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Help me: 1911 decision making (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/help-me-1911-decision-making-106036/)

Bronco141414 04-10-2014 01:48 AM

Help me: 1911 decision making

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody! I have decided to get a 1911 after thoroughly thinking. I have seen MANY many people mention the Rock Island Tactical line of 1911's going for around $450. They seem pretty plain Jane to me. The Remington R1 caught my eye for a little bit until i realized many of it is made out of good ole America. And finally what caught my eye the most is Ruger's SR1911. It is a pretty stainless steel, American made, Lifetime warranty gun. My complaint is the price is around $650 right now (plus shipping fee's if i bought online). Anybody have some recommendations on what it best or what they would buy? Tough decision and originally i wanted to stay under $500 dollars.

Another name i heard was Springfield but i really want to keep under $600 but ya know a gun's gotta last! Thanks guys! :cool:

donthav1 04-10-2014 01:55 AM

you will not be disappointed with a Rock Island 1911. I've had mine for about 2 years now & the only issue I've had is one FTF using an aftermarket mag. great value for the money

I thought the tactical was pretty far from "plain jane" what with adjustable sights, extended beavertail, & skeleton trigger & all...

danf_fl 04-10-2014 09:26 AM

With a parkerized 1911, there are plenty of color choices:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/air-cure-aerosol-paints/aluma-hyde-reg-ii-prod1117.aspx

JohnJak 04-10-2014 01:12 PM

Buy the Rock Island Tactical.

JonM 04-10-2014 01:18 PM

The ones you listed the ruger is the best of em.

The samples I've seen were very nice and ruger does a good job supporting after the sale.

I would save a little more and get the ruger.

JW357 04-10-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bronco141414 (Post 1554569)
Hello everybody! I have decided to get a 1911 after thoroughly thinking. I have seen MANY many people mention the Rock Island Tactical line of 1911's going for around $450. They seem pretty plain Jane to me. The Remington R1 caught my eye for a little bit until i realized many of it is made out of good ole America. And finally what caught my eye the most is Ruger's SR1911. It is a pretty stainless steel, American made, Lifetime warranty gun. My complaint is the price is around $650 right now (plus shipping fee's if i bought online). Anybody have some recommendations on what it best or what they would buy? Tough decision and originally i wanted to stay under $500 dollars.

Another name i heard was Springfield but i really want to keep under $600 but ya know a gun's gotta last! Thanks guys! :cool:

So you're interested in American made, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Springfield Armory import Croatian guns? Or is that just the XD line? Someone set me straight.

Axxe55 04-10-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1555342)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Springfield Armory import Croatian guns? Or is that just the XD line? Someone set me straight.

the XD and XDm series are made in Croatia for SA. the 1911's can be made in the US or Brazil.

Hawg 04-10-2014 11:54 PM

Another vote for Rock Island.

SSGN_Doc 04-11-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1555342)

With Springfield 1911s the frames and slides are mostly forged in Brazil at a military contract forge house. Some are milled, fitted and finished in Brazil, others are sent as raw forgings to the US and Spingfield does the rest of the work. The guns that are over 80% worked in the US and fitted with US parts are considered US made. The others are marked "Made in Brazil". Most of the US guns are marked with NM prefixes in the serial number. Some of the high end Springfields use all American parts as well, including the frame and slide.

XD series guns are Croatian.

rockratt 04-11-2014 12:11 AM

I have the Remington R1 S and there is not a thing wrong with it. However I was looking at the Ruger and I would do as Jon M said and save till I could afford it.