Help "Convert" me to a 1911 please... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Help "Convert" me to a 1911 please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Again

Josh x3 is dead on.

What works for us may not work for you.

We may not like glocks but if that is what you know and what you like who cares what some faceless name on the internet says, or what your buddy says. When you out shoot him and his fancy 1911 with your lowley glock you can say see it works for me.

While I believe the 1911 is the be all end all semiauto pistol ever made. There is a reason glocks are popular. I myself don't care for the ergonomics of them. But hey you may love the feel of a glock in your hand. I can tell you this if you ccw a glock in a hot climate you will like it more than a big heavy 1911. Unless you spend the money and get the little shorty 1911.
untitled.jpg

untitled9mm.jpg

Old 07-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Josh! What an awesome post. If that doesn't inspire someone to strongly consider the 1911 .45acp, then they aren't rational.

I've just sold my xd sub compact to help fund my 1911. The xd was flawless, good trigger, easy to weild and shoot. Accurate 'enough' at shooting range, but it just can't compare to a good 1911.

I'm dead set on getting a Dan Wesson CBOB .45.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent stuff JoshX3.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

or maybe a Colt commander.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #15

::sniff::

thanks guys!

Woke up early this morning, got a little "churchin' up" and when I saw someone asking about a 1911 after my recent experience deciding on, shopping for and buying one, I figured I could say a few words.

Good to know as a professional writer I can still use my words for good instead of evil.

Have a great day everyone!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshX3Magazine View Post
::sniff::

thanks guys!

Woke up early this morning, got a little "churchin' up" and when I saw someone asking about a 1911 after my recent experience deciding on, shopping for and buying one, I figured I could say a few words.

Good to know as a professional writer I can still use my words for good instead of evil.

Have a great day everyone!

Josh
Just wanted you to know...You wrote that so well, that I got wood!

Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #17

If someone tells you they are inaccurate, kick like a mule, or jam alot, you can say:

Yes, military guns are less accurate because they were made (loose tolerances) to be dropped in the dirt/mud/sand, picked up, wiped off and fired. Those were not built as target guns, those were built as service weapons - a job they did very well.

Kick like a mule - many in the military never fired a weapon before. So naturally they thought the kick was awful. That is where that line came from; GI's coming home with no pistol experience other than a .45. Just like any other firearm you need to start small and work your way up.

Jamming or 'stovepiping', well that is most likely caused by shooters who do not lock their wrists/elbows. You need a solid grip on a 1911 style pistol. In my early days I had a lot of jams until a shooting instructor told me to keep my elbows locked when shooting. Problem went away then.

Semper Fi

Gun Control...sight alignment, sight picture, squeeze...

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Damn good post JoshX3. It moved me so much that I stood up and saluted the monitor after reading it. HOOAAH!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 07-19-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I wish I could expound on what Josh said, and I suppose I could if I really put my mind to it, but here are the facts bro:

Look, if you don't want a 1911, don't buy one. The rest of us will purchase the ones you don't buy.

The 1911 is the pistol that every other pistol wishes it would be. The 1911 is the pistol of record for over 100 years of ACTIVE military service.

Here is a short list of people that endorse the 1911, look them up in your spare time and see what you think:

John Browning
Col. Jeff Cooper
Massad Ayoob
Larry Vickers
Eric Lee Haney
Les Baer
Dave Lauck
Chris Whitcomb
LAPD SWAT Team
FBI HRT Team
Tacoma PD
Delta Force
Navy SeAL Teams 1 thru 6

Just a few folks who thought the 1911 was a "decent idea". When you find a list of guys who thought otherwise, let me know.

JD

Old 07-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #20

Yo Dillinger that's a great addition! All very true and good points. However, you realize you just opened yourself up to the whole "well R. Lee Ermey is in all those Glock ads..."

Honestly though if R. Lee stomped up in here right now and was like "YOU HAD BETTER START ****TING ME TIFFANY CUFFLINKS AND BY THE WAY GO BUY A GLOCK RIGHT NOW MAGGOT OR I WILL GOUGE YOUR EYEBALLS OUT AND SKULLF#*@ YOU!" I'd probably do both. lol

Just sayin'

http://www.joshuasilverman.com