Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Help "Convert" me to a 1911 please... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/help-convert-me-1911-please-15884/)

feedsasquatch 07-19-2009 01:40 AM

Help "Convert" me to a 1911 please...

Ok, so I just started shooting guns again for the first time in 6 years (I just graduated from college and didn't have time for it). I have little experience shooting pistols, except for the 300 rounds I've put through my new Glock 23 over the last 2 months. I'm getting my concealed carry license this week, and due to many of this forums post, and my own research, I've decided that I want to carry the .45 ACP, and not the .40 S&W. So, since I've decided the .45 ACP is the best caliber, I'm trying to decide which gun is the best platform for that caliber...

- I've considered getting a Glock 36 because I'm already familiar with Glock, and can get one for $600 new. I've shot the G30, and can control it better than my G23. However, I've heard from more than 10 reliable people that use Glocks that the G36 WILL jam if fired one-handed and "limp-wristed." I don't know if in a self-defense situation I'll always be able to have a death grip on my gun... will a 1911 due the same?

- I've considered the Springfield XD. Similar to Glock, just as reliable, costs about the same, but a little more bulky, which is the main deterrent, as I'm 6'2" and 130 lbs (it's genetic).

- And then there's the 1911, which seems to dominate the .45 ACP arena. I've seen lots of people recommend Kimber, Springfield, and Para. I think I can conceal one well, as they're thin. The weight on the Kimbers is low enough to make me more inclined to carry it every day. They just cost SO MUCH. I don't know if I can justify a $1,000 gun purchase. I really like the Kimber Pro Carry II, but need to find one to shoot first. I've also heard from more than one source that Kimbers and other 1911's require a break in period (which I guess means $150 in ammo to "break it in").

So, can the 1911 fans here please give me the pro's of the 1911 over the Glock, and dispel my fears of cost, break in period, reliability, size for concealment, etc? I don't have the money to buy multiple guns, so I want the gun I buy for my first concealed carry to last a lifetime.

dnthmn2004 07-19-2009 01:49 AM

All I'm going to say, is get a 1911 instead of a Glock, please.:rolleyes:

I'm certain JD will give you his input on the matter.

layton 07-19-2009 02:13 AM

I might add, since you seem to have decided on the caliber you want, the 45, you cant go wrong there, but you might want to find a Gun store/range that have several models for rent and and fire them and see which one you like and and which features you like.

Layton

feedsasquatch 07-19-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layton (Post 130713)
I might add, since you seem to have decided on the caliber you want, the 45, you cant go wrong there, but you might want to find a Gun store/range that have several models for rent and and fire them and see which one you like and and which features you like.

Layton

Yeah, I think there's a place not too far from where I live that has some 1911's, but I don't think they have the exact models I want to buy for rent. I should probably shoot the gun first before purchasing it I guess. I bought the Glock without shooting it because I loved the feel of it in my hands, but it didn't cost $1k...

UnderFire 07-19-2009 08:06 AM

Help "Convert" me to a 1911 please...

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedsasquatch (Post 130703)

So, can the 1911 fans here please give me the pro's of the 1911 over the Glock, and dispel my fears of cost, break in period, reliability, size for concealment, etc? I don't have the money to buy multiple guns, so I want the gun I buy for my first concealed carry to last a lifetime.

Spend some time with one (1911) you'll become a believer. ;)
btw, all new guns have a break-in period.

Ubergopher 07-19-2009 08:59 AM

I've fired my personal Springfield XD, range 1911s and Glocks, and one personal 1911.

If you're getting a glock, I'd fully recomend an XD instead. That extra grip safety makes me feel more comfortable the few occasions I do carry (open carry in a Blackhawk SERPA holster, no CCW for me right now.) as opposed to juts the trigger safety of a Glock.

That being said, I wish I would of gotten a 1911 instead.

NGIB 07-19-2009 11:04 AM

Not all 1911s are really picky and need long break in periods. The more expensive, target quality guns are generally built with very tight tolerances and do require some rounds down range before they smooth out. I would very much recommend a gun like my Colt Commander. Not horribly expensive ($695 NIB), well built and not exceedingly tight, and the perfect size for a carry 1911 - and it's a Colt...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...IMG_CCDR-X.jpg

opaww 07-19-2009 11:05 AM

Go to the Knob Creek Gun Range and talk to Kenny in the store he can show you a lot of different 1911a1's, at differing price ranges. If I knew what day you were going there I would meet you and let you fire a few rounds through mine.

JoshX3Magazine 07-19-2009 01:51 PM

I'll preface this statement with a few things.

First, I've owned two Glocks. They were both nothing short of stellar. Never a failure to function, feed or fire of ANY kind, with ANY ammo. Simple to care for, dismantle, point, aim, shoot and shoot straight. Thousands of military personnel and law enforcement officers around the world put their trust in Glock firearms every single day and night. They're a fine pistol.

I've also owned numerous other pistols and revolvers. I'm blessed to say that all of mine are or have been reliable, from Sccy and Rossi to Taurus and FN.

I have 3 very good friends who all own Springfield XD pistols of various types and calibers. I also sold a few when I worked at a gun shop. I've shot them and watched them get shot a lot. They all worked very well and offer a massive amount of features for a very affordable price.

I'll say something else: we're not car salesmen, though some of us COULD be (and some might actually be). What's right for Opaww or Gopher or Sarge or Canebrake might not be ideal for YOU. It may WORK for you, but it might not be IDEAL for you. Personal preference counts for a lot in the civilian firearms market because A) there are a lot of choices and B) there are a lot of different circumstances, preferences, shapes, sizes and locations that each demand a certain feature-set that one firearm may provide better than another.

All that said:

Having owned two Glocks and several other pistols and revolvers, I am now and have been for about a month, a proud 1911 owner. My choice was a stainless steel Colt Commander with a 4.25 inch barrel. I found mine for well under 1000 dollars and I'm sure you could too.

So if I like my Glocks so much and think XD's are great and have owned everything from a Taurus .357 to an FN 5.7mm pistol, why a .45 now? For ME, it had a lot to do with history. Historically, in my opinion, no firearm has served its country and the world at-large so well as has the "classic" .45 1911 and its newer variants from various companies, save obviously the AK-47. Since its inception, the .45 was designed to do one thing well: put angry, motivated people intent on doing you harm, up-close and personal, on their asses and make them stay there, with as few necessary shots as possible. It does that very, VERY well. Good enough for me.

The .45 ACP round and the pistols and submachine guns designed to shoot it like the Thompson, 1911 and "Grease Gun" were good enough for the "greatest Generation" to win World War 2. The pistol served the US well from World War 1 through Vietnam and into the eighties, and numerous soldiers, services, individuals and law enforcement who can choose their weapon still select it today. Good enough for me.

While people bicker about the stopping power of a 5.56mm rifle round versus a heavier battle rifle round or argue about reliability and which pistol might blow up or fail to function or feed, when was the last time you heard that about a .45? When people compare stopping power against something with rifles, it's usually a 7.62/.308 rifle round in there somewhere. When they do so with pistols, it's generally a .45ACP round that winds up in the comparison. I feel that many of the rounds out there today exist because someone, somewhere said "how can we do this better than the .45?" Good enough for me.

ALL that said, in the end only one thing matters: putting the weapon in your hand, pulling the trigger and making a determination after you've cleared the weapon and stepped back from the line. As I posted in other threads, after my VERY first magazine fired through my VERY first .45 for the VERY first time, my group was smaller than my fist, I had a smile on my face and my VERY first thought was "THIS is what I've been missing all this time!? Wow!" Good enough for me.

The old addage is that you don't get something for nothing. Everything in life is a compromise and/or trade-off. Can you get smaller pistols and/or lighter pistols. Sure. But most weapons smaller than the smallest .45's achieve that smaller size by using a smaller round, from .40 and 9mm on down to .380. Will those stop a threat? You bet. All those rounds have killed plenty of people deader than Saddam's nuts. But that bigger .45 bullet stands a better chance of getting that one-shot drop.

Can you get cheaper (less expensive) pistols? Absolutely. But once again there's that trade. Polymers for metal, for example. While this isn't to say that guns like Glocks, XD's, etc aren't reliable or as durable; test after test has proven they certainly are. But none have been around and served as well or reliably as the .45 for as long a time.

In the end the .45 was right for ME because of the history behind it, its proven track record, its fit and finish, its stopping power and its function...not to mention its superb trigger pull and the ability to customize and individualize the weapon to suit the user's style, desires and personal needs.

Try before you buy if you can. If the Glock or XD is for you, go for it. Neither is a bad decision. But the .45 costs more because you get what you pay for. Like many on this forum will say, if you start with a Glock or XD, you'll wind up with a .45. I did. You might. Only one way to find out!

Josh

opaww 07-19-2009 02:09 PM

I agree with Joshx3, Go by what your confortable with and can use. All the fancy fire power does no one any good if they can not use it.