hand placement hurts
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > hand placement hurts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default hand placement hurts

So recently, I found a 1911 I wanted to trade for. I was going to trade the guy my beretta 92a1 for it. Long story short my dad has the 92 and is down $700, and I have the 1911. Problem is, after just gripping the pistol like I would any other, it hurts, and enough for me to not want to hold it at all. It's like the front strap is digging into my ring finger bone. And this really upsets me, because I've always wanted a 1911 since.....well ever. Nothing beats the beauty of the 1911. And what makes me even more mad is how great the 92 felt in my hand. It was perfect. I want to like shooting this pistol but I just don't see it happening if I can't figure out a grip that feels natural. Is there a certain way to hold the 1911? Will a different set of thicker grips help? And not wrap arounds or those pachmayers or whatever. Waaaay to ugly to put on a 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Don't use a "death grip".
If you see the white of your knuckles, you are holding on too tight.
You need a firm hold so it functions.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You can try a different set of grips but it sounds like you are squeezing the hell out of it. Maybe a recoil anticipation?

Web between your thumb and index finger up to the grip safety/beaver tail. and no need to hold too tight. It's not going anywhere.

Is this the first 1911 you have held?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

A good grip is firm, but only enough to retain the firearm while firing and allow it to function. You fatigue your hand and affect bullet placement when gripping too hard.

A good test is to grip the weapon tightly and fire a single round, then loosen your grip SLIGHTLY and fire another round. Continue to do this until the gun has a failure to feed or eject. You have just found the range of grip pressure for that gun. Best to do this on grass or thick carpeting just in case it drops. Afterwards, choose a comfortable grip somewhere in between the two extremes which allows you the greatest comfort.

The Beretta you mention has a slightly different grip angle and is 9mm, so it will probably help to experiment while firing and get used to it. In a worst case scenario, you can have the front strap smoothed or stipled to give a smoother feel for your hand. It would be a shame to have to give it up!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It sounds like your grip scale is a bit rough or over sized. There is nothing on the front strap of a 1911 to cut into your finger.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Improper grip.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4120 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
So recently, I found a 1911 I wanted to trade for. I was going to trade the guy my beretta 92a1 for it. Long story short my dad has the 92 and is down $700, and I have the 1911. Problem is, after just gripping the pistol like I would any other, it hurts, and enough for me to not want to hold it at all. It's like the front strap is digging into my ring finger bone. And this really upsets me, because I've always wanted a 1911 since.....well ever. Nothing beats the beauty of the 1911. And what makes me even more mad is how great the 92 felt in my hand. It was perfect. I want to like shooting this pistol but I just don't see it happening if I can't figure out a grip that feels natural. Is there a certain way to hold the 1911? Will a different set of thicker grips help? And not wrap arounds or those pachmayers or whatever. Waaaay to ugly to put on a 1911
What make/model is it? Some 1911s have rough front strap checkering. My Springfield will bite if you squeeze it.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not squeezing the grip to the point of white knuckles or bad blood flow. I have held and shot a glock, m&p 9, m92a1, ruger lcr .38, .357 magnum. All of them are comfortable and felt natural. Its just this pistol. It has no checkering on the front strap.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

"digging into my ring finger bone"

I would like to see how your grip is set up.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4120 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 2045

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
I'm not squeezing the grip to the point of white knuckles or bad blood flow. I have held and shot a glock, m&p 9, m92a1, ruger lcr .38, .357 magnum. All of them are comfortable and felt natural. Its just this pistol. It has no checkering on the front strap.
All of the above have a curved grip. The shape of your own hand might be a factor. Any arthritis, previous injuries, crooked fingers from birth, anything?