Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Hammer drop question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/hammer-drop-question-27802/)

Byrdguy 06-01-2010 11:47 PM

Hammer drop question.

I bought a MKIV series 70 Cogan Customized Colt in an estate deal and I haven't fired it yet, but when the slide release is pushed with the slide in the back position, the hammer will drop. It doesn't fall to the fire position, but stops about 1/8th of an inch from fire. The hammer doesn't stay cocked when the slide rams home. I'm pretty sure this is not normal and something is wrong, but since the gun has been worked on, I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

JonM 06-02-2010 01:23 AM

be safe replace the hammer, sear, disconnector, thumb safety, and sear spring. they are fairly cheap parts no telling what of those the previous owner monkeyed with.

danf_fl 06-02-2010 09:40 AM

Never let the slide slam forward without a round in the chamber. Such abuse is the cause of hammer follow.
You may get lucky with changing out the sear only, but to do the job correctly, change out 1 piece at a time.

Byrdguy 06-02-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks, Haven't torn down one in many years, but I have a Colt shop manual, it will be a fun project for this weekend.

DanFL, you must know Dink and Julie at D&D cycles??

robocop10mm 06-02-2010 01:05 PM

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber WILL eventually cause this problem. Most likely the sear. Replace it.

Quentin 06-02-2010 01:52 PM

If you have the slightest desire to test it at the range I might suggest only one round in the mag...

Guess what happened to me when testing my Series 70 after a trigger job? Not fun! :D

masterPsmith 06-02-2010 02:14 PM

He might have an E-Ticket ride with a full mag !!!!
More than likely an overworked sear and/or hammer. Try not to release the slide on an empty chamber, it will, in time, cause damage to the sear and hammer. Close the slide by hand when empty. Congrats on your find. Get her working right and enjoy..............................

Jim................

c3shooter 06-02-2010 03:01 PM

Rather than an E-Ticket ride, might be a G-Ticket- as in Government Ride. Some of those folks are real picky about full auto fire......:rolleyes:

JonM 06-03-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 293721)
Rather than an E-Ticket ride, might be a G-Ticket- as in Government Ride. Some of those folks are real picky about full auto fire......:rolleyes:

this is no joke. guy up here in wis. milwaukee had a worn sear his rifle went auto on a range some asshat reported it to batf he spent time in prison. he was also previously investigated for non-related batf violations which led ultimately to them tossing the book at him. batf dont mess around. they already despise citizen gun ownership to begin with.

crockett007 06-04-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byrdguy (Post 293420)
I bought a MKIV series 70 Cogan Customized Colt in an estate deal and I haven't fired it yet, but when the slide release is pushed with the slide in the back position, the hammer will drop. It doesn't fall to the fire position, but stops about 1/8th of an inch from fire. The hammer doesn't stay cocked when the slide rams home. I'm pretty sure this is not normal and something is wrong, but since the gun has been worked on, I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice is to call up Bob Cogan. You can get the number here :

apwcogan.com

You can talk to Bob personally, he usually will make it right if it is his problem.