had to send my kimber back yonkers - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > had to send my kimber back yonkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #31
X-5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
so about a week ago after shooting i was cleaning my kimber cdp2 and noticed a crack in the frame when i was putting the slide stop in. thought that it was just a scratch at first then turned it over and same thing on the other side in the same place. so i then took the weapon back apart for a closer look and yes cracked on both sides. talk about sad. i then called kimber and they sent my info to ship it back to them and they said that they are looking forward to fixing the issue. but it will be 3-5 weeks at the fastest and that is the part that really sucks. i understand that things happen but they always seem to happen to me.
the crack is 1/4 inch in front of the hole for the slide stop and was 1/4inch long on one side and 3/8 inch on the other. this is also where the thinest part of the frame meets the rest of the frame. the more i think about it the more i think that this may be a poor joint design for aluminum. i dont fully know though.
before you ask
the pro cdp is T7075 aluminum frame. so for aluminum that is as good as it gets. i always changed springs every 600-700 rds. always shot factory ammo federal, winchester, remington. never +p or hand loads. weapon never fired more than 150 rds without cleaning. and yes next time it will be a steel frame.
nothing against kimber, i really love this weapon from how it carried to looks and firing. i just want her back. i will let you guys know more as i find out but how they choose to fix this issue will depend on my next firearm purchase.

Leave it to Kimber to be the first 1911 to have an "idiot crack"!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 AM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I have 2 Kimbers that have never had a malf and a $1100 Colt that rattles like a junk wagon. I'm very disappointed in the Colt and happy as hell with the tack driving Kimbers.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.