had to send my kimber back yonkers - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > had to send my kimber back yonkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so i got her back today. kimber did hook it up and time wise wasnt all bad. they polished the barrel and the feed ramp on the new frame. i am very happy with the everything in the end. it was being happy like you got a new gun but only had to pay a small transfer fee and bought another 47d wilson mag while i was there.

and for those who have kimbers i really wouldnt worry they will take care of you. if you have an aluminum frame i would say dont shoot any +p. i dont really think that it had anything to do with it but i did shoot some couple of trips to the range before i noticed the cracks. a similar thing could have happened to any weapon that was manufactured. and for those talking about MIM (metal injection molding) the frames are not they would be casted. MIM is for small parts less than 100 grams in weight.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2
so i got her back today. kimber did hook it up and time wise wasnt all bad. they polished the barrel and the feed ramp on the new frame. i am very happy with the everything in the end. it was being happy like you got a new gun but only had to pay a small transfer fee and bought another 47d wilson mag while i was there.

and for those who have kimbers i really wouldnt worry they will take care of you. if you have an aluminum frame i would say dont shoot any +p. i dont really think that it had anything to do with it but i did shoot some couple of trips to the range before i noticed the cracks. a similar thing could have happened to any weapon that was manufactured. and for those talking about MIM (metal injection molding) the frames are not they would be casted. MIM is for small parts less than 100 grams in weight.
Glad they took care of you and you're happy

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #23

Kimber Raptor II spring pooped out on me the last time at the range. It's my fault tho, I wanted to see how far it would go without changing the spring. After 800, every once in a while it would not slide forward 100%. At the range I fired the 1200 round. Every shot leading to it I had to push the slide forward. Granted I have 1200 thru it but I bought it new in December 2011. I go to the range every other week so it looks like I'll be stocking up on springs. eBay has a takedown tool for the pro models for those who want to change their own springs pretty easily.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #24

bought a Kimber SCP HD in August, been back to the Yonk twice. First time massive FTF's, ejecting rounds hitting my head & slide returning to battery upon adding a fresh mag. Got it back month later, told 500 to 1000 rds for break in on rnd 501, ejector broke looks like pot metal. Active Navy Seal friend said "if its a Kimber melt it down". I'm not happy right now. @ $1,450???????? Kimber is Jacked.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #25

I am reading the same complaints as I read over six years ago when I bought my three Kimbers.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #26

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by carry1
bought a Kimber SCP HD in August, been back to the Yonk twice. First time massive FTF's, ejecting rounds hitting my head & slide returning to battery upon adding a fresh mag. Got it back month later, told 500 to 1000 rds for break in on rnd 501, ejector broke looks like pot metal. Active Navy Seal friend said "if its a Kimber melt it down". I'm not happy right now. @ $1,450???????? Kimber is Jacked.
That is kimber, i will never in my lifetime own one. One of my friends tried to trade me his $1,200 kimber for my $500 High Standard 1911 "which has been flawless for 1,300rds". I just laughed at him and told him HELL NO. I wouldnt even take a free kimber!

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
That is kimber, i will never in my lifetime own one. One of my friends tried to trade me his $1,200 kimber for my $500 High Standard 1911 "which has been flawless for 1,300rds". I just laughed at him and told him HELL NO. I wouldnt even take a free kimber!
Years ago I had traded off my 4" Kimber with some cash on a LM&T AR-15 in the last Month I traded my 3" and 5" on two new 5" Colts, since it had been many years since I bought my Kimbers I had little in them. But today it seems they are in high demand. For me it's good they were.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #28

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474

Years ago I had traded off my 4" Kimber with some cash on a LM&T AR-15 in the last Month I traded my 3" and 5" on two new 5" Colts, since it had been many years since I bought my Kimbers I had little in them. But today it seems they are in high demand. For me it's good they were.
1999 is when i had my first encounter with kimber. I had a friend that had been obssessed with wanting a kimber and finally saved enough to get one. I had also heard about them and was pretty excited for him to get it. I went with him to the LGS to get it and he payed $1,200 "cant remember the model". He had nothing but FTFs out of that gun, his excitement quickly turned into disappointed and you could tell that he was completely sick because he had just wasted all that money that took him months to save up. Over the years "every" kimber that i have shot has had the same problems. The last one that i shot was last month, it would FTF on FMJs "at least 2 per mag" and ejecting brass was constantly hitting me in the face.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
1999 is when i had my first encounter with kimber. I had a friend that had been obssessed with wanting a kimber and finally saved enough to get one. I had also heard about them and was pretty excited for him to get it. I went with him to the LGS to get it and he payed $1,200 "cant remember the model". He had nothing but FTFs out of that gun, his excitement quickly turned into disappointed and you could tell that he was completely sick because he had just wasted all that money that took him months to save up. Over the years "every" kimber that i have shot has had the same problems. The last one that i shot was last month, it would FTF on FMJs "at least 2 per mag" and ejecting brass was constantly hitting me in the face.
The only Kimber I had that I thought was fairly good was the all steel custom TLE II .45 paid about $745+tax NIB for it in 04 I never liked the Tac. Pro 4" it would eat recoil springs and the finish came off like water color was used paid $862+tax NIB in 04 The 3" Ultra Carry II would snap off ejector tips and the finish was what I call stove bolt paint it shot good but I never really liked it paid $641+tax NIB in 04
The one I disliked the most was the 4" Tac Pro.
I am happy that they all now are gone, and I have new .45 all steel blue Colts. Been to the range twice and not one problem with them.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

those post took off.. and more stories good to hear and sorry to the ppl with bad stories.

just curios does anyone who had fail to feed problems remember if they were using stock kimber mags? mine did that everytime i used it. even after it was broke in.

i am happy and not to say that i wont buy another kimber but my next 1911 is a Wilson..