had to send my kimber back yonkers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > had to send my kimber back yonkers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default had to send my kimber back yonkers

so about a week ago after shooting i was cleaning my kimber cdp2 and noticed a crack in the frame when i was putting the slide stop in. thought that it was just a scratch at first then turned it over and same thing on the other side in the same place. so i then took the weapon back apart for a closer look and yes cracked on both sides. talk about sad. i then called kimber and they sent my info to ship it back to them and they said that they are looking forward to fixing the issue. but it will be 3-5 weeks at the fastest and that is the part that really sucks. i understand that things happen but they always seem to happen to me.
the crack is 1/4 inch in front of the hole for the slide stop and was 1/4inch long on one side and 3/8 inch on the other. this is also where the thinest part of the frame meets the rest of the frame. the more i think about it the more i think that this may be a poor joint design for aluminum. i dont fully know though.
before you ask
the pro cdp is T7075 aluminum frame. so for aluminum that is as good as it gets. i always changed springs every 600-700 rds. always shot factory ammo federal, winchester, remington. never +p or hand loads. weapon never fired more than 150 rds without cleaning. and yes next time it will be a steel frame.
nothing against kimber, i really love this weapon from how it carried to looks and firing. i just want her back. i will let you guys know more as i find out but how they choose to fix this issue will depend on my next firearm purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's ok I purchased a SA loaded and fired 200 down range pack up to leave and my front sight fell off had to send it in but it's gunna be home tomorrow a little over a week

Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Just wondering. How many rounds have you fired through it with the current recoil spring?

As one goes to smaller 1911a1 platforms, the recoil spring has to be changed out more frequently.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Kimber recommends changing the recoil spring every 2k rounds in their pro line so if you were changing it every 700 you should be fine. I would highly recommend going with a Wolfe extra power spring, especially with the aluminum frame.

Let us know what they say.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 58

This is from the Kimber website.

SPRING REPLACEMENT CHART
Compact & Pro Models:
Recoil Spring: .45 ACP & 40 S&W/22 lbs., .38 Super/18 lbs.
CHANGE EVERY 800 rounds.

Firing Pin Spring: HD, CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Mainspring: 23 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Ultra Carry Models:
Recoil Spring: 18 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 1800 rounds.
Firing Pin Spring: HD, CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Mainspring: 23 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

dan.. about 600 rounds on that recoil spring.
total rounds 4.5k over less than 2 years

in the pro (or 4 inch) .45auto kimber recommends 600-800 for the recoil spring (the book that came with the weapon). and past 800 it gets fin-inky. FTL with the smallest amout of limp wrist. and it wasnt just me it would do that to towards the end of 800 rounds. thats why i changed it at 700. had change the firing pin spring and the mainspring once each as well. as of right now havent heard anything from kimber but that should change tomorrow. ups said it could be as late as tomorrow. ill let you guys know more when i find out. interested to hear what they have to say as well. thanks for your input..

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The recoil spring does two functions.
The first is to return the slide to the "Ready-to-Fire" position (or in battery) as the slide strips a round from the magazine, and
Second, to work with the main spring in resetting the hammer on recoil.

You stated that "past 800 it gets fin-inky". That makes me think that there were a couple of times you did go past the 800 round count.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i did once to see how far it would go. still less than 850 and it would become very noticeable right at 750-800. plus you could always tell it was starting to feel weak. like a clutch going out. and when you changed the recoil spring it was always like new. i had the timing of that dialed in pretty well.
where it cracked doesnt really have alot of pressure thats what i am really baffled about. could have been as simple as a bad batch of aluminum but i dont really know. there is something when welding aluminum called oxide inclusion that could cause defects that would fail underload. but i really dont know that either. none the less i have some questions for kimber when they call. hopefully i get some answers that i want to hear.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Please keep us informed of what transpires. Thanks.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would not worry too much. I have had several bad dealing with kimber on other issues, but a frame. I'm sure they will get you fixed right. A 45 is a powerful round and IMHO they just got some alloy that is sub par. I have heard of several cases of bad metal in the past few years.
Kimber will get you running like new. Just find something to do in the meantime.