Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Gun Got Damaged While I was Gone (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/gun-got-damaged-while-i-gone-18243/)

FightinTexasAggie 09-19-2009 05:06 AM

Gun Got Damaged While I was Gone

I was recently out of town, I locked up my new Colt in the safe after a fresh cleaning. While I was gone, apparently my older brother decided he would "borrow" my newest baby (he is the only other person that knows the combo to the safe). He knows I clean everything before it gets locked up so he cleaned the gun after he used it. He forgot one thing, to make sure the plunger lever was down before putting the slide back on. It is obvious he bent the plunger lever trying to force the slide on, then tried to bend the lever back.

Now I am stuck with an obviously damaged plunger lever, and a brother Im not speaking to for now. What do I need to do? Do I need to replace it, and if so, where would I find directions on how to do that? Ive never had to do more than stripping the gun for cleaning.

Go figure, my brother is a Glock shooter...

NGIB 09-19-2009 08:22 AM

I'm going to assume you're talking about the lever that operates the firing pin block plunger. That isn't a real tough job but you will need to take down the pistol farther than you have before. That lever is held in place by the hammer strut pin so you have to take it down far enough to remove the hammer.

Anyway here's a link to the part you need from Brownells:

BROWNELLS : COLT : Firing Pin Plunger Lever (160-109-082) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

This link will take you to some great animations on how to disassemble and reassemble a 1911 and there is a lot of other great info at this site as well. Just go slow and be patient and it's not that difficult...

M-1911 Animation

One tip I can offer and I do it to all of mine that have the FPB: polish the sides of both of these little levers to reduce "drag" in the trigger pull. The lever that got bent on yours rides between the hammer and the frame, the other rides between the sear and the frame - polishing both sides of these (I just use very fine wet & dry paper with a drop of oil) removes any potential rough spots that can affect the trigger pull...

mr1911 09-21-2009 11:21 PM

Is the gun operable enough to shoot him with it?!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just kidding,.......Brownell's gunsmithing website/catalog and Midway are great resources as mentioned before.

FightinTexasAggie 09-24-2009 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info. Is this the type of thing where I should not shoot the gun until its fixed, or is it safe to use still?

Also, I am considering upgrading the trigger, hammer, grip safety and possibly the sights. What are some good companies to buy parts from and ones to stay away from?

mr1911 09-25-2009 11:43 PM

Show us some pictures,...but I wouldn't shoot it, you should really have a gunsmith check it out, you never know what else might have been done to it.

Old Sarge 09-26-2009 12:15 AM

The FIRST thing you need to do, is change the combination on the safe!!!!!!!!!!

FightinTexasAggie 09-28-2009 07:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately I cant change the combo, my brother keeps his guns in the safe here (he does not trust his roommate with guns in the house), but I will be putting an additional gun lock on my guns inside the safe.

I had a friend, who is much more familiar with the 1911 platform than me (by no means an expert though), and he doesnt think there would be any problems firing it. Here are a couple pics, but they were taken on my phone and arent the best quality.

orangello 09-28-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie (Post 167048)
Unfortunately I cant change the combo, my brother keeps his guns in the safe here (he does not trust his roommate with guns in the house), but I will be putting an additional gun lock on my guns inside the safe.

Not to be a complete dick, but that sounds like your brother's problem. I would carefully remove all of his weapons from the safe & prepare them for him to pick them up within 3 days or find them on his porch, his choice. If he has already apologized, simply remove parts from each of his firearms & replace them with post-it notes reading "ha ha, isn't this funny to you?".

canebrake 09-30-2009 12:14 AM

1. Get the gun fixed before shooting!

2. Smack the pretty off your brother's face!