Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Guide rod & recoil spring questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Guide rod & recoil spring questions

OK 1911 veterans....

As a relatively newer 1911 owner of a Springfield Ultra Compact (officer model) 9mm and an American Classic Commander 1911...I notice that neither of them have full length guide rods and I have not replaced the spring in either.

Read some wacky suggestion from CTD on a Wilson Combat guide rod page that the spring should be replaced every 300 rounds. Sounds like complete b/s to me.

So, should I even bother wasting my money on full length guide rods for either gun? What exactly is the benefit to doing this? Could this negatively affect the OEM specs on these guns since there was none before?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1543 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

Springfield should have that covered in the manual.

General rule is:
Full size - 5000 rounds
Commander - 3000 rounds
Smaller - even less.

The recoil spring works with the main spring when in recoil, but the main job is to return the slide to battery. Shorter springs get more of a workout than longer.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #3

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Thanks Dan, what's your opinion on the full
Length guide rod? Any real advantage to buying an aftermarket one? Neither of my 1911's have one

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1543 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

I have some with, I have some without.

I do not have a preference. I do like the two piece vs the one piece.

It is to help keep the spring alignment on recoil, but the spring is captive between the slide and frame. What affects accuracy is consistent slide lockup. When the slide is in battery, the FLG has no advantage.

I think that if someone wants to use it, that is their choice. I use the system as designed by JMB when I assemble a 1911, and have not experienced any problems.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Personally, I think they are a waste of time. They are kind of a fad that got picked up and people think they have to have them or that they make their gun shoot or perform better. Thats just not true.

The purpose of a full length guide rod is to prevent your recoil spring from binding or kinking. Never had this happen in who knows how many thousands of rounds and years of shooting. You might be more prone to this if you are using a heavier than recommended spring or longer spring. But if you are shooting a stock recoil spring, a FLGR is a waste of time in my book.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Agree with both Dan & Olympus here...
I have had guns with both and really could not tell any difference between the two (ie...no advantage from a FLGR in my Springer Loaded at all).
I changed by recoil spring out at around 3k rounds through my Springer and when I did, went back to EB GI style guide rod & plug.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Personally, I think they are a waste of time. They are kind of a fad that got picked up and people think they have to have them or that they make their gun shoot or perform better. Thats just not true.

The purpose of a full length guide rod is to prevent your recoil spring from binding or kinking. Never had this happen in who knows how many thousands of rounds and years of shooting. You might be more prone to this if you are using a heavier than recommended spring or longer spring. But if you are shooting a stock recoil spring, a FLGR is a waste of time in my book.
Same here ^^^^
------------------
Now it is easier to remove the complete "upper" with a FLGR setup but thats a whole different topic---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 01-27-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

I find 1911s with the full length guide rod a bit easier to reassemble, but that may just be the fact that I have very little experience with the GI style. I however am not a fan of the two piece full length rods.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wonder if all the modern pistols that are engineered and designed with the FLGR would function correctly with out their FLGR, seams to me that the 1911 is probably the only popular pistol that offers the ability to us either, and the consensus is that it really doesn't make a difference, but add weight to the front of the pistol, you figure.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I wouldn't change a thing on a 1911 mouse gun. Too easy to screw up the cycle timing.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello