Guide Rod? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Guide Rod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Looney View Post
The only guide rod I've installed on a 1911 was in my little Colt Compact (Officers, but steel frame). It came from the factory with a short rod, a double spring setup, and a spring plunger with a tiny tab waiting to break. The whole setup was a ticking timebomb IMO. I replaced it an Ed Brown reverse plug two piece guide rod and heavier spring and it's been a gem ever since.
I have a lightweight Officers Model with the stock spring plunger. Several years ago I tried installing the reverse plug and it wouldn't fit. I was later told that this requires some machining on the underside of the slide to make proper clearance for it. Was yours machined or is there a newer style that dosen't require it anymore?

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #12

I've read all the posts in this thread and I've followed this debate for years. One side says that if it needed a full length rod, JMB would have designed it with one. The other side says it makes the slide move smoother and more linear on the frame. However, nobody mentioned the two-piece type FLGR with its own internal spring. I installed one of these in my Colt Combat Target Stainless (made in 1997 only) and it definately offers the benefit of reducing battering to the frame. When the slide moves back and reaches the last 1/2" of travel, the guide rod begins to compress against its internal spring to further slow down the slides rearward velocity. I'm convinced that this will greatly add to the longevity of the gun and it also reduces felt recoil in the hand.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Last edited by Zappa; 03-27-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just use a stronger recoil spring. Goes a long way to lessening felt recoil.

Big Gay Al
coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
"Of course I carry a gun, you would too if you were called Big Gay Al"

Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default This Is My Full Length Rod On The Colt Officers ACP

I installed the Cominolli Full Length Frame Saver Rod on my Colt Officer's Acp; It too required the fitting of the reversed recoil plug. Ed Brown once did an article on how much to remove from the slide for the tapered shoulder on the plug. I simply filed back the same thickness of the plug's shoulder to accommodate the fit on the slide. Another important thing is to make sure the recoil spring compresses fully into the plug when the slide is recoiled.One way to check this out is to place the recoil plug on the muzzle end of the slide, with the bushing and barrel removed, and push the rod and spring through the plug by pressing the rod head against a table top.

You will also notice this rod has an Inner and an Outer shok buff; This provide buffers to the slide and the frame, totally eliminating the metal to metal battering from this shorter recoiling pistol.