Great rail option - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Great rail option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In fairness a light is going to light up quite a bit of the room and CAN disorient your target. That said though; I must have a higher electric bill than most as my house is just never pitch black where I would need a light and hasn't been since my kids were young. Got in the habit back then of providing some light so they could make it back and forth to the bathroom, kitchen etc and its a habit that never died. But honestly even if my house were pitch black I feel like I would still have the advantage. I mean who would be better able to navigate my house in pitch black better than me? Just what could a robber etc do in a pitch black house where he couldn't see a thing? Would he have to have a flashlight; providing ME with a well defined target? I'll grant you in unfamiliar surroundings a light might be a good thing (such as a LEO searching someone elses house) but in your own home; not so much.

I think rail mounted lights are just one of those things that people think they need but if really thought through; they are not really sure why they think they need them. But then, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla; different strokes for different folks.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Old 12-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2569 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 738

I also use night lights in the house but mine are also emergency lights. If someone should kill the power they light up and will stay lit for 8 or more hours if needed. I highly recommend them. I did not buy them here but here is a link.
http://www.cs-power.com/litesaver-ls1000.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

it looks like good way to put lazer on Your piece without spending four bills. is the grip as uncomfortable as it looks? that would be my main problem. I think that someone makes one that just bolts up to the front of the trigger guard. That would be more to my liking, but if You like it that's all that matters. I would def put a lazer as opposed to a flashlight. If You hve nightlights, a lazer could be fairly safe. Either way I would want my family behind me

Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
I AM one of those older types LOL
No part of my home is ever dark enough that I couldn't identify what I'm shooting at should the need ever arise (benefit of a few well placed nightlights). I also feel like a gun mounted light is a really good target and gives the other guy the probability of getting off the first aimed shot; but hey that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

I am a little confused about the above statements in bold though ???
What happens if the BG disables your night lights?

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman84 View Post
What happens if the BG disables your night lights?
I hope he does. As I said who could possibly navigate my house better than me in the dark? Sorry IMHO lights and lasers on handguns are far more tacticool than they are tactical.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I thought I had enough light in the house at night, too. . . until the son came home from college very early one morning without giving me any notice. I bought a CTC Lightguard that clamps to the front of the trigger guard that very day. It lights up the whole room (not just a circle on the shirt). The "on" button is right under the trigger guard and doesn't interfere with the lasergrip "on" button. I grip the pistol and they're both on. It's also great for perimeter patrols and skunk elimination.

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll let you know. If not, you'll embarrass him." - Milton Hokit

Old 01-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
I hope he does. As I said who could possibly navigate my house better than me in the dark? Sorry IMHO lights and lasers on handguns are far more tacticool than they are tactical.
Well in that case how would you know what you are shooting at? No light means no target acquisition and basically shooting blind. Unless you have cat eyes. But IMHO why not have every tactical advantage you can possibly get. And I think the military and LEO prefer tactical vs. tacticool and use rail mounted lights n lasers.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #18

Quote:
And I think the military and LEO prefer tactical vs. tacticool and use rail mounted lights n lasers.
They use them in very different situations. They are going into unfamiliar terrain where they are the ones who are at a disadvantage.

And I'm not sure I want to emulate the current crop of LEOs with their wonder 9s and their 80+% miss ratio.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #19

Quote:
They use them in very different situations. They are going into unfamiliar terrain where they are the ones who are at a disadvantage.

And I'm not sure I want to emulate the current crop of LEOs with their wonder 9s and their 80+% miss ratio.
Well I'm not here to discuss the accuracy skills of current LEO. This is about you saying you do t believe in lights n lasers because they are tacticool. And you imply that you would rather shoot blindly in the dark.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Well I'm not here to discuss the accuracy skills of current LEO. This is about you saying you do t believe in lights n lasers because they are tacticool. And you imply that you would rather shoot blindly in the dark.
Never said blindly in the dark. What I said is that in MY dark home I have the advantage.

So many people love to spin up all sorts of farfetched scenarios to justify the latest and greatest tacticool gear but when it comes right down to it; it is mostly junk.

As far as debating accuracy skills of LEOs; that was in response to you using LEOs habits to justify said gear. Hate to say it but in general current LEOs aren’t who I would use to justify my habits or preferences but then that’s just me; your mileage may vary.