Got Silencers???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Got Silencers???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Got Silencers???

Up in the "Legal and Activision" section, I just posted that WA state house of reps just passed (88 to 4) a bill to allow the USE of silencers in our state (this is so remarkable as our state house is overwelmingly DEMONcrates). Does anyone currently own and use a can? Legal to own, but not use in my state, some of my friends with cans travel down to Oregon to use their's on a range. What about you "evil assassins?" Was it worth the cost of your tube and tax stamp?

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-13-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow that's great. I have never used one. What is it like? Does it help recoil? What sort of taxes and stamps are you referring to? Sorry for all the questions but I am really curious. I don't even know the law in Mississippi.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

First, they are suppressors. Second, very few mfrs make 1911's with a threaded barrel. I don't see the need for one, but I don't care if cans are used or not. I would assume that if made legal by your state, then they must see a benefit to them. A registry perhaps? Tax dollars?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i also dont see any real use for them other than a cool toy. if you want one and dont mind the price go for it. but they sound nothing like they do in the movies.

used to have an acquantance in texas that had some home made supressors and some manufactured legal ones couldnt tell the diff in sound from one to the other. he eventually got nailed selling the not so legal ones. him and his mom went to the pokey.

if you want one as a toy go for it. just make sure your doing it the legal way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Do you have a link to that vote? EDIT: Just saw that you have posted it in the Legal section. I have not heard anything about this but am most interested considering the current law is about the most assinine ever put in effect.

Okay to buy - illegal to actually use. WTF over?!

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-13-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Do you have a link to that vote? EDIT: Just saw that you have posted it in the Legal section. I have not heard anything about this but am most interested considering the current law is about the most assinine ever put in effect.

Okay to buy - illegal to actually use. WTF over?!
I heard about it from the NRA-ILA. Some time ago, I called our state's attorney general's office about what does their interpertation of "use" mean. Is carrying one "use"; is attaching it to your pistol "use"; is powder residue in it "use"? Their answer was that it has never been ruled on in a court case, therefore they could not answer!

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-14-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
Wow that's great. I have never used one. What is it like? Does it help recoil? What sort of taxes and stamps are you referring to? Sorry for all the questions but I am really curious. I don't even know the law in Mississippi.
Since 1934, the Fed's have put a $200 tax on them through the BATF(E). You buy one through a Class 3 FFL dealer, who will help you submit the forms to Big Brother. After a few months, they will send you a registration stamp for that ONE item. For each silencer/suppressor/can you have to do this again and again. The registration is permanent, but does not follow the can if you wish to sell it (always through a Class 3 FFL dealer). Most who use them say that it does reduce recoil, probably thru the added weight on the barrel. I find them a kick to use. Check this out: In jolly ol England, with all their severe gun laws, a suppressor is virtually REQUIRED, even for shotguns, so as to not disturb their neighbors. Oddly, owning a handgun there is almost impossible, but hunting with a rifle or shotgun without a suppressor is a no - no! Go figure!?!

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-13-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
First, they are suppressors. Second, very few mfrs make 1911's with a threaded barrel. I don't see the need for one, but I don't care if cans are used or not. I would assume that if made legal by your state, then they must see a benefit to them. A registry perhaps? Tax dollars?
Yes, they are correctly, but not commonly, called suppressors. But this is like trying to explain that "point blank range" is NOT an up close shot. Thanks to Hollywood the name silencer is here to stay in most everyone's mind so I am not going to try to retrain the general public. Even S&W offers a threaded barrel for one of their M&P pistols, and Nighthawk Custom, and HK, and others. Plus almost all barrel manufacturers offer their tubes threaded if asked for.

As a practical reason to have one is to defend your home and family. In the dark of night you hear someone in your home who has no reason to be there. If you have to shoot, your first shot will cause you to go deaf, and if you miss, you will no longer be able to hear where this SOB is or what he may now be doing. Having a "silencer" will protect your hearing and allow you to continue to listen to what the pile of human garbage is up to. I have just admitted that I have a legal "silencer," attached to my nightstand gun, for just this possibility. Afterwards of shooting a waste of human flesh, at least I will be able to hear and understand the questions the police will be asking me.

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

I think it's about time. Here's a link to a news release regarding a bill that recently passed the WA house. I suspect however that Gov. Christina will veto this if it gets to her desk. Now to find a threaded barrel for my 1911.

House approves bill allowing use of legally-registered firearm noise suppressors : Washington House Republicans

Next step is getting the other Washington to do away with the $200 transfer tax which is unjustified, particularly if the transfer is intrastate.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Last edited by Wenonah; 02-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Since 1934, the Fed's have put a $200 tax on them through the BATF(E). You buy one through a Class 3 FFL dealer, who will help you submit the forms to Big Brother. After a few months, they will send you a registration stamp for that ONE item. For each silencer/suppressor/can you have to do this again and again. The registration is permanent, but does not follow the can if you wish to sell it (always through a Class 3 FFL dealer). Most who use them say that it does reduce recoil, probably thru the added weight on the barrel. I find them a kick to use. Check this out: In jolly ol England, with all their severe gun laws, a suppressor is virtually REQUIRED, even for shotguns, so as to not disturb their neighbors. Oddly, owning a handgun there is almost impossible, but hunting with a rifle or shotgun without a suppressor is a no - no! Go figure!?!
Suppressors are very rarely used in the UK when hunting with a shotgun. Poachers use them a lot for illegal hunting. I do use one one when hunting bunnies with a .22. A fully moderated shotgun such as this can be whisper quiet
mod.jpg