Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Was this a good idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Was this a good idea?

In the short time I've been here, It should be apparent that I'm a 1911 guy. I'm also a 45 ACP believer...In the small town I work in I have become aquainted with some of the local LEO's and they too see my obvious enthusiasm for the old war horse in all of the incarnations available. I lean toward the Colt Mfg weapons for alot of reasons that you either already understand or will never accept for reasons that likely are not reasonable...IMHO To the point...one of the officers I also work with in my job has come to appreciate my opinion and has ordered a new Colt Combat Elite...he wants to carry this in place of his 45 Glock service pistol...a decision that I personally consider a no brainer until I get to thinking about the transistion...carry condition...lower round count...all the things a 1911 guy has considered and trained for. I am sure that as he gets some trigger time with his Colt he will learn and get comfortable with it. Any LEO's have an opinon on this...I feel somewhat responsible for swaying him this way and it's likely many others at this department may change their carry pieces as well...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you and your friend believe the 1911 is a superior platform, then I wouldn't feel bad for moving him towards it. Just realize, there is a certain amount of practice is necessary when changing up. I would make sure your friend realizes he needs to get repetitions with the mechanics of the gun, like using the manual safety, in order to overcome the training he has done with his Glock. Same would be true of any changes in the holster that would effect releasing the gun.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Yeah...Thanks, I'll be sure to encourage him to pratice the drills...I guess my feeling is one of getting involved to a degree in weapons choice. The term superior is subjective for sure as there are many schools of thought. For me personally, The 1911 is my choice but I recognize the many options available to folks. The post was likely a reflection of my thinking that if anything were to ever happen to one of these officers...at least a weapon related instance...I'm not sure how I'd feel...depending on all the circumstances. As I stated, my personal enthusiasm for the 1911 has apparently worn off on some of these guys and the option is theirs and the department approves of the 1911 so here we go...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

(former MP) when we moved to the M9 berreta from the 1911 i felt unarmed even tho i had 8 more rounds in the gun.

personal opinion: it should be left to the individual officer what they carry as a duty weapon. if the officer doesnt like trusting his/her life to and carrying a dept issue piece of cheap plastic from austria they should be allowed to purchase their own sidearm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-01-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #5

Or an aluminum Italian made job?...

Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

A quick update...The Colt Combat Elite arrived and it is one beautiful piece...absolutely perfect as has been all the offerings from this old company as of late...at least in my experience. I am now told that as a result of this pistol being shown around the department, apparently they all want one and the chief has even gone as far as requesting a grant to purchase several...needless to say, my initial concerns have come to fruition but my confidence in the system is strong. So there it is...another success story.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5244 Times on 2735 Posts
Likes Given: 330

thats a pretty 1911. cant go wrong with colt by far the best 1911's out there in my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...