Going To Buy My 1st 1911 Buy This Weekend...HELP - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Going To Buy My 1st 1911 Buy This Weekend...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

If the +200 is an honest number, you need to check out the Dan Wesson Heritage.
US built, no MIM or plastic Mainspring housings.
Otherwise, i'd steer you toward a Colt.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #22

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Guys, I see lots of Dan Wesson love hear but after visiting 6 gun stores I've yet to see one.

Anyway I bought the Colt Gold Cup National Match today. I ended up also finding a Springfield Range Officer and almost bought it instead. The store says they sell SA Range Officer as soon as the gun hits the display case for list price. I stopped back by the range before dinner and put 200 round through it...zero issues. this gun made my newbie rear end look really good! I'm not use to no whote dots on the site. I'm leaving it stock for now and see if I get use to the competition adjustable sites.

Thanks for everyone posting up there thoughts and advice.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #23

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Stick with your Colt decision.

You may want to rethink the Gold Cup if you're looking for a multi-purpose gun. (target, competition, PD/HD and carry.)

The Gold Cup is a task specific pistol. It is made for, and intended to be used as, a competition firearm. It comes with two different rated recoil springs. One standard weight spring for shooting standard load ammo and a lighter weight spring for shooting target loads. The Gold Cup is not intended to be used for running hot loads and +P ammo. It can take it but it's a target pistol, a very accurate one at that!

The Gold Cup is not a good choice if you intend to multi-purpose a gun.

The adjustable rear sight does not carry well and it comes with a "special" (read: wider) target trigger.

Unlike many of the other Colts, the Gold Cup is not intended to be modified or customized by the owner. The Gold Cup National Match model is built specifically for the National Matches held at Camp Perry, Ohio since 1907 and take place every summer.
Thanks Cane...I bought the Gold Cup...oh well huh? I was interested in a blued XSE too but could not find one. Only other full size Colt 1911 I found was a 70 series with the 100 year roll mark and they wanted a pretty penny for it. The stores that had Colts had lots of the small 1911's though. I'm not going to carry a 1911 and only plan on using it for target shooting and learning the sport.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums

Thanks Cane...I bought the Gold Cup...oh well huh? I was interested in a blued XSE too but could not find one. Only other full size Colt 1911 I found was a 70 series with the 100 year roll mark and they wanted a pretty penny for it. The stores that had Colts had lots of the small 1911's though. I'm not going to carry a 1911 and only plan on using it for target shooting and learning the sport.
While Cane is right that the Gold Cup isn't a great multipurpose gun, it's a great gun nonetheless.. And it's not like you are going to own ONLY ONE 1911. This is the start of your addiction. ;-)

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasShooter View Post
While Cane is right that the Gold Cup isn't a great multipurpose gun, it's a great gun nonetheless.. And it's not like you are going to own ONLY ONE 1911. This is the start of your addiction. ;-)
Correct...there will be more! This is not my carry gun...I use a Glock G27 for that....this is not my bedside gun...I use a Sig P226 with light/laser for that.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #26

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums View Post
Guys, I see lots of Dan Wesson love hear but after visiting 6 gun stores I've yet to see one.
Thanks for everyone posting up there thoughts and advice.
Compared to any number of other manufacturers, DW is a pretty small company building a premium pistol. So they won't likely be on the clearance rack at Cabela's. The one's that come in to a lot of shops probably don't stick around very long. I known mine didn't have a chance to collect any dust in the display case.
Anyway...
Enjoy your Colt, those GCs are pretty cool.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Overkill, actually I didn't go to any big box sporting good stores...just local gun shops with in a 75 mile radius of me. I don't even see many CZ's around. I'm sure the DW's are great guns but I'm not much of an internet shopper for big ticket items like this. I have to go touch it and check it out...then I buy from that dealer

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Glad you chose the Colt.

Have real problems with Kimber and the ONe(1) year warrantee.

Own an Range Officer and love it -- alot.

Good shooting and enjoy it.

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life