Going To Buy My 1st 1911 Buy This Weekend...HELP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Going To Buy My 1st 1911 Buy This Weekend...HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Going To Buy My 1st 1911 Buy This Weekend...HELP

Mod's I searched the forum for answers but delete my post if you all are sick of newbies like me posting things like this.

OK, I just got started out with guns back in January. Since then I've taken some lessons, got my CCW, bought a Glock G27, wife bought a M&P 9c which I love more than my Glock, bought a Sig P226 9mm and now I want a 1911 to learn about it and have some range target fun.

I put a budget on myself of around $1000. I've been looking at 1911's at the gun show and a few local shops. Here is what I "think" I might want...in no particular order:

Kimber
Custom Target II
Custom TLE II
Gold Match
Tacticle Custom HDII (held this gun today)

Colt

Gold Cup Trophy 5870nm
XSE Government 1980xse

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Step 1: Read about them
Step 2: Rent each one
Step 3: Shoot them
Step 4: Narrow down your choices
Step 5; Repeat steps 2-4 until you have a winner
Step 6: Buy the winner
Step 7: Enjoy

Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Location: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Georgia, problem is renting them....the range I'm a member of does not have any 1911's for rent and the other range has some no name cheap 1911.

I've been reading so much about them it's confusing...LOL. I'd like to buy a 1911 that is built here in the USA by a strong company that at least makes most of the parts of the gun they build. With in my $1000 (+ or - $200) seems like Colt and Kimber are the brands I should look at. Yes - No?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums
Georgia, problem is renting them....the range I'm a member of does not have any 1911's for rent and the other range has some no name cheap 1911.

I've been reading so much about them it's confusing...LOL. I'd like to buy a 1911 that is built here in the USA by a strong company that at least makes most of the parts of the gun they build. With in my $1000 (+ or - $200) seems like Colt and Kimber are the brands I should look at. Yes - No?
I have only personally shot Kimbers. The custom ones are good solid guns are are a lot of fun to shoot. I know Colt has a great rep too though. Do you happen to know anyone who has one of the 1911s that would let you shoot one of them? You should pay for the ammo of course.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Only 1911 I've shot in my neighbors 2 doors up....a $3000 Wilson Combat! Obviously it was nice and made me look like a pro. However right now I'm not spending that much on a gun. I just bought a Sig P226 Navy and I also need to get a shot gun (home defence) soon too.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrums

Um......Sig 1911's are the bees knees.
For $1000 you will get one hell of a 1911....match grade trigger and bbl, hand fitted slide to frame, MIM free, lifetime warranty, front strap checkering......best bang for the buck chuck.
stock-illustration-3482193-bees-knees.jpg  

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I have a Kimber & a couple of Colts & have had no problems with any of them. If you've done a lot of research on them, then you've probably read a lot of complaints about Kimber's customer service & probably very few complaints about Colt. Kimber is loaded with MIM parts & while I have no problem with MIM parts per se, I believe the purpose of using them is to lower price, yet Kimber still asks premium prices for assembly line pistols. Colt has four MIM parts. Kimber says it takes 500 rounds to break their pistol in & they have a rep of not addressing feed problems until you do. Colt says if it don't feed correctly, right out of the box, it's broke & you should send it in.

After saying all that, I have another Colt & two Kimbers on my wish list! I'm partial to lightweight commander size 1911s so none of mine are on your list. I will say the Colt is at the top of mine.

Last edited by gollygee; 03-14-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

G17 frantz...I didn't even think about the Sig 1911's. No MIM parts huh?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #9

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I love my Colt "Rail Gun" (not crazy about the name but oh well!), it's basically an XSE with a pica tinny rail and National Match barrel. At first I wasn't crazy about the looks of the rail and the front serrations but I really like them now that I have it in person.
With a SureFire X300:

With a naked rail :

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had always wanted one since I was a kid. Shot a little Colt. 38 and finally @ a year or so ago I got mine... a Kimber Ultra II TLE .45
I love mine...would do again but the thing is, now I want a 5" too Java. Yep... bit by the bug.

But here's what I did:
1. Research, Research, Research
2. Go to a gun shop and hold them, rack the slide, get a feel for it
3. Go back home and, yes... Research
4. Narrow down your preferences and go back to gun shop and feel again
5. Research again until you have a decision
6. Let them $ fly and then go enjoy!

Happy hunting!