Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Go Away - You Should Have Known...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Go Away - You Should Have Known...

Having been on this forum for just a short while, I am finding, as all too typical, a couple or so of "old" timers who enjoy belittling new people for their lack of knowledge, as if they should have known better; saying that they should have been spending hours reading other sites exploring their problem. Well, most of us who still work for a living, have families and issues to deal with in our lives, do not have time to live in front of a computer trying to find an answer. So, we turn to sites as this one for answers - not belittlement. I too have been addressed as such. These few (thankfully) individuals, posting over 7,000 replies, seem to believe that this or any site that they frequent belongs to them, and discussions should only be of an advanced nature.

Those of us who may be new to a particular gun/ammo/holster, seem to be held in distane by these few. Well, if all answers have been addressed, why not shut down this site, and leave it as a library. Forget that there are young ones following us with questions - even though we may have addressed them between us - they have not heard us. At 59, I only recently bought my first 1911, 45ACP. So even though I am old, I have something new to learn about.

I am only asking, that those of you few who feel I may be speaking to you, to please think of this before answering someone with a problem you have experienced and have addressed, perhaps more than once, before. Before you belittle them in your answer.

I an asking the Moderators to watch for these unkind/unreasonable replies and to address these few to back off; to remind them of their once (hundreds of years ago) youth/and on going lack of being a genius.

Last edited by parinoid54; 04-03-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I won't lash out on you. What do you need to know?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

And ya spelled paranoid wrong too.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Having been on this forum for just a short while, I am finding, as all too typical, a couple or so of "old" timers who enjoy belittling new people for their lack of knowledge, as if they should have known better; saying that they should have been spending hours reading other sites exploring their problem. Well, most of us who still work for a living, have families and issues to deal with in our lives, do not have time to live in front of a computer trying to find an answer. So, we turn to sites as this one for answers - not belittlement. I too have been addressed as such. These few (thankfully) individuals, posting over 7,000 replies, seem to believe that this or any site that they frequent belongs to them, and discussions should only be of an advanced nature.

Those of us who may be new to a particular gun/ammo/holster, seem to be held in distane by these few. Well, if all answers have been addressed, why not shut down this site, and leave it as a library. Forget that there are young ones following us with questions - even though we may have addressed them between us - they have not heard us. At 59, I only recently bought my first 1911, 45ACP. So even though I am old, I have something new to learn about.

I am only asking, that those of you few who feel I may be speaking to you, to please think of this before answering someone with a problem you have experienced and have addressed, perhaps more than once, before. Before you belittle them in your answer.

I an asking the Moderators to watch for these unkind/unreasonable replies and to address these few to back off; to remind them of their once (hundreds of years ago) youth/and on going lack of being a genius.

I'd like to disagree for the most part. There are some of us here that either don't know a lot about guns and ammo, or have one or two special guns and are not familiar with other types. Questions are raised and most are answered and sometimes debated. Yes there are some short to the point answers like go google it, or use the search feature. These are tips to remind everyone that sometimes you, by yourself, can find the answer to a question that has been previously posted on an earlier thread.

As it appears a slam to you, it isn't a slam against a new guy or anyone else. It's that after you've been here a while and you constantly go through the threads you'll see and understand some of the frustration from the same questions over and over, when a search of the forum or a quick google search will show you what you need to know. There's nothing wrong after finding out the answer to put it on the forum for advice or to debate the answer whether it be good or bad.

Also, if you look at threads posted you'll see some from obvious trolls who are just wasting time and forum space.

If you feel that you have picked on or belittled, please PM a MOD about it. Most of us on the forum have other things we do also other than sitting and posting, and those in the know are very willing to share their expertise.

Hey, now that's a slam( age slam-emphasized in bold above)...We are all under 20 here, didn't they tell you no old people, that it was an age requirement when you signed on?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Also, if you look at threads posted you'll see some from obvious trolls who are just wasting time and forum space.
Yep. ^

We are not intended to be an alternative to Google or a library. When people ask (dumb) questions with their first post ever, you can bet they cut and paste the same thing in every gun forum they can find. If someone is willing to take the time to introduce themselves and spend some time here, we are more likely to spend some time trying to help them. Some of us still work for a living, have families and issues to deal with in our lives and do not have time to live in front of a computer trying to answer 50 troll questions a day.

I try to help when I can, if I know enough about a topic to issue good advise, and when the inquirer follows the recommended stickied introduction protocol.

You don't walk into a gun store and ask for a rifle thats best for bump firing, do you?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

While it's true that sometimes members can be abrasive, it's not the general rule. We're dealing with human nature here and none of us are perfect. Please understand that this place is a second home for many of us. Not necessarily in time spent here so much as the friendships that bind us.

If you feel you are being treated unfairly or rudely, PM the offending member and work it out if you can. If not, PM a mod. Post count is not necessarily the measure of a members value and contribution here.

All of us here have lives and other interests and some of us are dealing with some of life's serious challenges as well.

Always remember to walk a mile in the other guys shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from him and you'll have his shoes.

CA357

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

By my standards, I have only been here for a short time myself, but I have found that this is the friendliest and most supportative forum I have seen yet.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

As forums go, this one is one of the better ones. Serious business with enough light hearted banter to keep things interesting. The XDtalk forum can get a bit salty at times. I've heard that some @ glocktalk eat their young, can't verify though.

Brevity is not necessarily hate. If someones asks a newb question, you know, the kind that can be answered with a quick use of the search function, I will not spend an inordinate amount of time on it. A quick, perhaps even blunt, answer may not be out of line. The senior members here seem rather patient, considering.

Most common issue I see:
Combative atitudes.
1. New guy on his second post asks for an opinion on whatever subject.
2. He doesn't like the answer.
3. Proceeds to argue with everyone about it.
4. Game on.
5. Thread closed w/ prejudice. Feelings hurt.

While the forum isn't the sole property of those with 4 & 5 digit post counts, new members would do well to get the lay of the land before being "That guy." Trying to make a big splash on the first visit doesn't work well in a lot of environments. Bear in mind too, some people's sense of humor doesn't necessarily translate well to text. I, for one, make an effort to try not to be misinterpreted. I may not always be sucessful. Life's like that.

At the end of the day, if this forum doesn't fit with someone's sense of decorum, they are free to leave. I like it here.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-03-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Perhaps you also need to look at the tone of your posts. I KNOW you're talking to and about me and I find you to have an attitude that is confrontational and rather abrasive as well. If you bring it - expect to get it back. When I was learning, I read much more than I posted as the answers to my questions were already there to be found...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There are plenty of great members on here that will chime in and help when they can. But there are others that seem to take it as a private social club of sorts.. I am on here every day but post very little. Sometimes it is a lot easier to google something for specific info. If you want real world experience that is where a forum is a great help, as are most of the members.

Glad to see you are a supporting member in such a short time too..