From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had great luck with Chip McCormick Power Mags and Wilson Mags.

I prefer the Power Mags for the cost point and they work just as well.

Just like medicine, always check for one problem at a time and always less invasive to more. Magazines, recoil springs, etc until the problem is corrected. My new XDm 45 was jamming with one mag so I bought two more. They worked perfectly, so, I just had a bad mag. I called Springer and they sent me two more for free. Lesson = Start small.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 08-29-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #62

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I didn't want to remove material. When people use the term "polish the feed ramp," does that always mean change its shape/angle/etc. by removing material mechanically?

That's not my plan. So I'll just leave it alone. Clearly, I don't even want to mess with the recoil spring unless and until I can prove to myself that mags are not the issue.
Well, to some extent, the reason for "polishing" is because the factory left ramp is not smooth enough, and in some cases not at the ideal angle, for rounds to feed properly from the magazine.

Polishing anything, even with a soft cloth and polishing rouge, is going to remove some minute materials from the surface.

Will this be visible to the naked eye and will be extensive enough to cause irrepairable harm? Probably not, until you start polishing and think just a little more will make all the difference.

Until you have concrete proof the ramp is the problem, I would recommend against trying to alter and improve it. But that's me.

YMMV.

JD

Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #63

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

I'll make a leap here and assume you're using the factory mags that came with the gun. In nearly every post I make about 1911s - I say the same thing:

I toss factory mags in a box and use my own stock of Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick mags that I KNOW are good...

Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #64

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'll make a leap here and assume you're using the factory mags that came with the gun. In nearly every post I make about 1911s - I say the same thing:

I toss factory mags in a box and use my own stock of Wilson, Tripp, and McCormick mags that I KNOW are good...
I do the exact same thing. Companies should learn. I mean Ruger already uses Hogue grips as standard with their guns, why not use better mags as a selling point for colts, kimbers, springfields, etc?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #65

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You know what, I think I'm going to start over on this one. New magazines are on my list for stuff I gotta buy for my new baby.

I was just in there working on the action and I am believing the issue might be a little different than I described.

Okay, the scenario:

Shooting a full mag of FMJ's, I've already put 80 down the pipe with all 4 mags no problem. I shoot 2 rounds from a fresh mag and the slide locks open. I look in the chamber and the mag still has rounds. It is a little tough pulling the slide back, but it moves and I let it slam home. After another couple of rounds in the same mag, it locks open again. This happened again later in the session, I think on the same mag.

Does the slide stop ever give problems associated with springs or with a less than optimal magazine?

The round was NOT stuck on the ramp, but still in the magazine. I could have ejected the mag without the round being even a bit pulled out. I just replicated it now. (BTW I wish I had snap caps so I didn't do a stupid thing like working with live ammo in my bedroom...but I'm still safe. Stupid, but safe.)

For some reason the slide stop is staying engaged instead of performing as designed. Not always, but enough to be annoying and this has to change.

No more talk of feed ramps out of me.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #66

For the record I must make a complete retraction and state publicly that I totally grasp the glory of the Browning Hi-Power 9mm. I had NO idea that it was Browning's own design specifically for the 9mm cartridge. I thought (wrongly, obviously) that it was just a bastardized 1911 for 9mm.

So from totally not getting it, I now pine for a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm and a Defender-size 1911 for my .45acp rounds.

It is funny how often my first reactions out of ignorance turn into understanding when I insist upon filling in my holes of knowledge through research.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #67
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
It is funny how often my first reactions out of ignorance turn into understanding when I insist upon filling in my holes of knowledge through research.
Yeah, life is kinda like that.

I like the way this is progressing. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #68

And get this: I actually thought that the Hi-Power and the HiPoint were somehow connected. I hope I didn't cause anybody to taste their breakfast again.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #69

Default 2 Problems

I figured this was a good spot for this question since the problem is with this pistol.

Problem 1:

I've been having some feeding problems (see above) that I've mostly isolated to one particular crappy magazine (which I've just totally removed from my loaded mags).

I have upgraded all of my first-string magazines to Wilson and haven't really had a problem. But I just feel like something is wrong. Occasionally when I load a round (not at the range, just normal day-to-day stuff) I still have this failure to load. The round seems to get stuck on the ramp, even with good mags that do fine during live fire.

I decided to up the recoil spring from 16 pound from the factory (but who knows how powerful this one actually is) to a Wilson Combat 18-1/2 lb.

When I compared the two springs, the one that came with the gun was about an inch shorter than the new one. Is this possibly the problem?

Another problem:

I just function-tested the pistol and everything checked out, except on the pencil test, the pencil just basically popped out of the barrel...it didn't shoot across the room like I've seen before. Isn't this a problem? I opened the main spring housing recently and might have bungled the reassembly. Any thoughts? Should I replace the mainspring, too, since I just switched out the recoil spring?

THanks!!