From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I also really prefer the idea of used over new. There is one caveat to this: If someone is selling a gun they just recently bought, has a low round count, I am really wary of that. Why are they selling it, then?

I either want brand-spanking new or an older safe queen that somebody has fired many times, taken the bugs out, changed out a few parts (expertly and knowledgeably), and kept nice.

Since my price range is under a thou, many of those guns have a list of known weaknesses. I want a used gun that has been gone through and each of those areas switched out.

Bottom line, I need to be patient and not just run down to Keith's and buy one of the two guns that are making me drool. (Can you say, "I'll take THAT one, please"?)

There's a particular used Kimber Custom 5" that I'm looking at that fits this bill. It isn't one of the newer Custom II's that have had mixed reviews.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #22

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I also really prefer the idea of used over new. There is one caveat to this: If someone is selling a gun they just recently bought, has a low round count, I am really wary of that. Why are they selling it then?
Some of us just like to change out our inventory. I have to own something before I can decide if it's a keeper or not. The shortest time I've ever had a gun is 3 hours, traded for it on a Saturday morning and traded it away a few hours later.

If the Kimber you're looking at is a Series 1 (first generation, before they put on the firing pin block), they are really light years better than the later versions...

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Congrats on your decision to give up your passion for black plastic & moving on to the really awesome design of the 1911.
Recently I made the decision that my Glock 19C was just too bulky and too ugly to be my CC gun. I already owned a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry but it's 4" barrel and the sharp edged butt of the gun didn't work as a CC for me.
I replaced my Glock with another Kimber, this one is an "Ultra CDP", a friend in Georgia spotted a used one in his LGS and emailed me about it. It was used but was like new in the box he said. It was originally bought by a local attorney who fired less than 100 rounds through it but decided he wanted something else after he added added an Ed Brown grip safety. He also switched out the MSH for one that has a rubberized feel to it but I can't figure out where it came from.
I added a set of C.T. laser grips to it and she's a beauty, IMO.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Some of us just like to change out our inventory. I have to own something before I can decide if it's a keeper or not. The shortest time I've ever had a gun is 3 hours, traded for it on a Saturday morning and traded it away a few hours later.

If the Kimber you're looking at is a Series 1 (first generation, before they put on the firing pin block), they are really light years better than the later versions...
This is the exact reason I don't want one of those quick-turnover guns. If it doesn't work out for someone, what is it about that gun that didn't work out. The fit? Sometimes it is just because of their unique physique, like someone who should use a J-frame revolver but thought an L-frame looked cool, and then realized they couldn't reach the trigger. That's fine. But the person who bought a gun and realized the first time they field stripped it that it was a piece of junk with crappy parts...I don't want their used gun.

I want the gun of someone who has too many great guns and just decided to simply liquidate one or two to pay for a different toy, or upgrade their house or something. That's the used gun for me.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #25

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

I want the gun of someone who has too many great guns and just decided to simply liquidate one or two to pay for a different toy, or upgrade their house or something. That's the used gun for me.
Okay, let's talk!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #26

All I can suggest is go with a 5" model of what ever make you find. The recoil will be softer, the spring will last longer. the cycle will be smoother.

I have five different brands of 1911, including two customs. My personal favorite is a factory S&W 1911. Shoots far more accurately than I am capable of and just feels great in my hands.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #27

I have definitely decided on the government 5" size. There is some benefit--from a carrying perspective--to the Commander when it is time to sit down and ya got a shorter barrel. But my new 1911 will mostly be a bedside vanguard.

The drawbacks IMH(and marginally knowledgeable)O to the Commander don't balance the benefits of the Government.

I can always buy another one, right? In fact, I hear they multiply. I keep the cash right next to the guns. I bet the cash will start to disappear as the 1911's multiply...

lonyaeger, is your 1911 family getting too large? :-)

Last edited by CHLChris; 08-25-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I can always buy another one, right? In fact, I hear they multiply
I call it 1911itis.
The answer to your other question is: yes, its incurable.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #29

Hey, everyone! As of this post, that really AWESOME Colt Combat Commander that Cane did a writeup about at the top of this thread is available again for sale. The guy who didn't want to trade it at the last minute, decided to stay away from .45 acp (crazy...)

It is on sale at northwestfirearms.com at least for the moment. $700.

I'm drooling, but really set on a 5" government.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
This is the exact reason I don't want one of those quick-turnover guns. If it doesn't work out for someone, what is it about that gun that didn't work out. The fit? Sometimes it is just because of their unique physique, like someone who should use a J-frame revolver but thought an L-frame looked cool, and then realized they couldn't reach the trigger. That's fine. But the person who bought a gun and realized the first time they field stripped it that it was a piece of junk with crappy parts...I don't want their used gun.

Yeah, I've turned over guns quick but not because there was anything wrong with them The story behind the one I had for 3 hours:

I traded an EAA Witness in .40 (that I only had $275 in) for a Glock 19 with some goodies. I got the 19 simply as they are the best trade bait here in GA. A few minutes after I got home, I got a call from my FFL that a gun I bought off Gunbroker was in. I mentioned I just got back from a trade and told him about the Glock. He told me to bring it along as his wife WANTED one...