Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/glock-1911-2010-odyssey-30715/)

CHLChris 08-21-2010 08:32 PM

From Glock to 1911...a 2010 odyssey

I see my firearms as each filling a particular need. When I recognize a new need, I buy a new firearm.

I'm up to 6 need categories: Full-size pistol, Tiny carry pistol, Revolver, SD shotgun, SHTF zombie rifle, SHTF small-game rifle. I haven't bought guns to fill a couple of those needs, but I'm working on it.

Right now my Full-size pistol category is being filled by a Glock 19, 9mm. For lots of reasons I've decided that 9mm ain't gonna cut the mustard. And Glock is just not the platform I desire, if I indeed have only one gun for this need.

I am someone who believes in listening to those more experienced than I, and weighing their advice against my limited personal experience and add it to my voracious reading on the topic. Based on this I have decided two things:

-I need to drop 9mm and move to .45ACP
-I need to drop Glock and move to the 1911 platform [not brand-specific yet]

Follow me on my odyssey to my first 1911. I'd love to hear any input you have.

CHLChris 08-21-2010 08:35 PM

I just sold my Glock 19!

Woohoo!!!!

I've got a hole in my bedside safe the size of a 1911, but the wad of cash is very much on its way to filling that hole.

I also put up for sale a bunch of tacticool accessories (light, laser, high-cap mags) so I can put it with the other proceeds.

I'm serious about getting the right one for my first. It sure won't be the last, and my first certainly won't be the best.

CHLChris 08-21-2010 08:45 PM

Calling for Canebrake!

I found one for sale that looks really interesting.

It is a Colt Combat Commander for 'bout $800. Here is the description:

Quote:

Colt Combat Commander Series 80 .45 with a bunch of work. Very nice shooting gun. All work was completed by Robar. Trigger job, Ed Brown safety, beveled mag well, lower and flare ejection port, wilson rod and bushing, among other things.
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/a...alsop/Colt.jpg

Cane, you actually sent me some information on this gun, based on the photo and the seller's description. Would you share it with the forum? It was extremely helpful and exceedingly generous. You have been a huge resource. Your irascible manner is strong, but you are always focused on teaching. Thanks!

NGIB 08-21-2010 08:49 PM

That's a good looking Colt and priced well also. My personal preference for 1911s is Springer but you can't go wrong with Colt. I've owned nearly ever brand except for the true custom shop guns like Nighthawk and Ed Brown and at the 700-1000 level the choice is really personal preference.

Just my 2 cents, but for your first I'd recommend a 5" government model...

danf_fl 08-21-2010 09:02 PM

It looks good. I do not have the extended slide release on any of my 1911's. My thumb has the tendency to ride or interfere and the slide will not lock back.
The shorter slide needs to have the recoil spring changed more often than the 5", but you should be okay.
Congrats.

DrumJunkie 08-21-2010 09:53 PM

The Colt Combat Commander is a good pistol. As an investment they never drop in value unless the owner does something terrible to them. I've had a couple of thm adn they where really good shooting pistols.

Dillinger 08-21-2010 10:17 PM

I wasn't born liking the 1911. My first pistol was a Beretta and the first one I bought for myself and carried for years, was a Sig.

That said, once I got to a point where I was open to learning about the platform, and learned to shoot one, the 5" 1911 is the only pistol I would want in my thigh rig should the shi*te hit the fan. :D

I think if you shoot a couple of them, and you are open minded, you will find that it really is a timeless piece of genius.

Good luck in your search!

JD

canebrake 08-22-2010 01:36 AM

Got a PM from Chris asking my opinion of this Colt. Of course I said Buy it, it's a Colt!

The following was my response:

Chris,

This is not a new gun. If you can get me the s/n I can get the born on date for you. They discontinued maufacturing them in 1996.

Is this a FTF sale? (Face to Face) Looks like he bought it and changed his mind after a half-box of ammo? Look him in the eye and ask him if he has had a problem with the 25 rounds he fired? His body language will speak volumes over his words. If it's over the phone, listen closely to his answer. Either way if he says no, and there is a problem, you've got him in a lie.

If its a FTF sale do it at a range allowing you to shoot the gun before purchase. If its a long distance sale include "gun final sale subject to test firing" and see what he says. Get this in writing.
From the NWF Post: Colt Combat Commander .45 with a bunch of work. Very nice shooting gun. All work was completed by Robar. Trigger job, Ed Brown safety, beveled mag well, lower and flare ejection port, wilson rod and bushing, among other things. Selling with all my factory .45acp ammo I have for it 474 (one box half shot) rounds in all.
First, the ammo is worth $200. That means you are getting this colt as a straight trade for your glock. IT IS MEANT TO BE!

I don't know what you have in your glock but this gun is usually priced (premium) ~$900 NIB. IMHO, in good condition AND with the additional options it would hold its value used.

Blue book rates this gun, if in 100% LNIB, at $800.

As for the Robar work, here's the price list:

Robar Price List

Did he say if the gun was finished by Robar, or just had smith work done? If the ejection port was reworked it would need refinished. That could run anywhere from $100 to $400 depending the type and extent of the refinish.

Here's the gun as built by Colt:

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...BlueFinish.jpg

And the one for sale:

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/CCmk4a-1.jpg

1. Rear sight change. ($140)
2. Ed Brown Beavertail Grip Safety w/palm swell. ($35)
3. Hogue grips. ($25)
4. Ed Brown Extended Thumb Safety. ($35)
5. Extended Slide Stop. ($65)
6. New SS Mag Release. ($30)
7. New Skeleton (Long) Trigger, Robar Trigger Job. ($130)
8. Wilson Guide Rod and Bushing. ($50)
9. Robar Flared and Lowered Ejection Port. ($75)
10. New Mags. (-$50 for missing Colt mags)
What to look for:

Send me your email addy and I'll send you a thorough, "How to buy a 1911" article.

cane

CHLChris 08-22-2010 01:43 AM

Of course I responded immediately: "Please send me that article!"

And the article you sent me, Cane, had really great information that you even added to. I bet others would like to get a gander! Thanks for that personalized description of the pistol I was interested in.

As it turns out, though, the fellow decided he didn't want to sell. So as soon as Cane got me drooling for this Colt I had in my sights, it was ripped away. That's the way it goes. Something I am learning is that there are LOTS of great guns out there!

Angry_bald_guy 08-22-2010 01:51 AM

If you're still looking, you may want to give Rock Island a look. They are about the most inexpensive on the market and they have WONDERFUL customer service. Being as cheap as it is, you won't be afraid to get it dirty or to scratch the finish up a little. My first gun ever was a Plain Jane GI Rock Island, and I plan to get a compact from them for concealed carry too.