As far as tools, the following are what I consider necessary to make working on 1911ís enjoyable. And yes, JMB would roll over in his grave seeing his brilliantly simple design being worked on with this collection of tools:
1. Wheeler Bench Block MidwayUSA - Wheeler Engineering
Wheeler Engineering developed this tool specifically for the 1911 pattern pistol.
It is of tremendous help in 1911 maintenance. The special section for MSH (dis)assembly is worth the $15 cost alone.
It is a must-have!
2. Caspian Pocket Smith II
3. General Tool Precision Needle Oiler
4. Squib Rod
5. Grace USA Brass Hammer
6. Wheeler Engineering Punch Set
7. Good HOLLOW GROUND
8. Benchmade Folding Tool Kit Benchmade Folding Torx & Screwdriver Tool Kit w/ Knife Sharpener 985995F - Blade HQ
9. Curved Hemostat
10. Bushing Bit I got my bushing driver from Alan Smith @ SMITH & ALEXANDER, INC (800)722-1911
Now if you want to splurge, take a look at the Roto-Stand.