Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Girsan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Say I buy one and later decide that I'd like a higher quality slide, if these things are so cookiecutter why can't I just purchase something aftermarket for it? I guess I make an assumption there, just seems logical to think that there must be an aftermarket source for such a popular firearm.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #22

And if you notice on the grips of this thing, it's 4G. That's blazing fast internet speeds. Maybe they've incorporated the interwebz into velocity somehow. Ideas? Greased the barrel with 4G perhaps?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #23

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Who extrudes carbon or stainless steel?

Cold and hot rolled maybe but extruded?

Forged, tool, bar or cast maybe.
You are correct, sir. It is rolled bar stock.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Say I buy one and later decide that I'd like a higher quality slide, if these things are so cookiecutter why can't I just purchase something aftermarket for it? I guess I make an assumption there, just seems logical to think that there must be an aftermarket source for such a popular firearm.
With 1911 pattern pistols, very few parts are "drop-in". The design dates back to a time when labor was cheap. Parts could be manufactured "close enough" and then be hand fitted. Now with so many companies making a version of thes pistols from China to Austria, you get into some variances in parts fit. Also, I wouldn't worry about the slide. As long as it is hardened properly in the right places it should be fine. It doesn't deal with the pressures the barrel does. I haven't heard of failures of RIA slides. Which are made from bar stock and seem to be rather abundant in the market.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

With 1911 pattern pistols, very few parts are "drop-in". The design dates back to a time when labor was cheap. Parts could be manufactured "close enough" and then be hand fitted. Now with so many companies making a version of thes pistols from China to Austria, you get into some variances in parts fit. Also, I wouldn't worry about the slide. As long as it is hardened properly in the right places it should be fine. It doesn't deal with the pressures the barrel does. I haven't heard of failures of RIA slides. Which are made from bar stock and seem to be rather abundant in the market.
Yeah, I figured that talk was ignorant snobery, but not knowing metalurgy well I just let it go.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #26

So back to the topic of the OP, is a Cold the only true 1911 then? Because by untrained eye the RIA, Girson, Colt, Springfield, Remington, etc, etc, etc, all look exactly the same. Is what makes some different the functions on the inside?

That diagram from broken cane was very detailed, but useless to someone not knowing what they're looking at. Tell me, if you can, layman like, what is the dif?

Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #27

Technically a case could be made that Colt is the manufacturer of genuine 1911 model handguns. However there are lots of 1911 compatible platforms made by lots of other manufacturers.

The RIA guns will accept parts made for Colts, just like many other manufacturers examples. If you are looking to buy a 1911 type pistol, then you end up with a lot of options and homework to separate some if the junk from the gems. A lot depends on what the purchaser wants the gun for. Competition, range fun, defense, duty, investment, etc.

There are affordable copies with good reputations like the RIA and there are high end craftsman pieces like the Wilson and Nighthawk guns that cost from 5 to10 times as much. Then you get new companies that crop up with no real track record and folks take a gamble. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they suck. Old Auto Ordnance guns from the 1980s were hit or miss quality with horrible customer service. If you got a good one then they were fine. But if you fit one of the many lemons you were in for headaches. They finally sold out. Kahr bought the remains of the company and run it now. But that's just an example of how a company can be here o e say and gone the next, leaving some dissatisfied customers behind.

If I were looking for an entry level 1911 just to get familiar with the platform with minimal investment and risk, I would probably go with the RIA because of cost and established reputation for happy customers before I would take a chance on a new entry to the market from Turkey. Once they are around and we get to see how they stack up for quality and customer service then they could be worth the recommendation.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

If someone is looking for an entry level 1911 it shouldn't be ignored. Definitely worth a look. You can't base an opinion solely on its country of origin. Yes Stoeger makes great weapons and the Cougar is a great example but that's a Cougar built with Beretta hardware.

It's a priced right, imported 1911, shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 11-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
If someone is looking for an entry level 1911 it shouldn't be ignored. Definitely worth a look. You can't base an opinion solely on its country of origin. Yes Stoeger makes great weapons and the Cougar is a great example but that's a Cougar built with Beretta hardware.

It's a priced right, imported 1911, shouldn't be overlooked IMO.
Not saying it should be ignored. Just saying I might let others be the guinea pigs. Or if I got to check one out in person and could check a few areas of concern. But for a first timer on a budget who can't afford to buy twice if it turns out to be a turd, may want to look at something in the same price range with an established rep.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #30

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
That diagram from broken cane was very detailed, but useless to someone not knowing what they're looking at. Tell me, if you can, layman like, what is the dif?
That's Canebrake, Crotalus horridus or Timber rattlesnake to you sir!
cbrs.jpg   canebrakers.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Newest Threads