Getting ready to buy my first 1911 in a couple weeks
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Getting ready to buy my first 1911 in a couple weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Default Getting ready to buy my first 1911 in a couple weeks

Hey guys. As the thread says...gonna be buying my first 1911. I'm very excited. I'm buying the springfield
G.I. 5" barrel, parkerized. This is the 1911 I've always wanted. Plain, black and beautiful. I don't need any bling on it. So....some questions. I'm a Glock nut, I've done a bunch of stuff to my G17 and its all been super easy, how is it for a 1911? The only thing ill probably do later on is get a skelotonized hammer and trigger. How hard is it to do that kind of stuff? I'm getting a too good to be true deal on it. My friends dad is getting rid of it to get a Kimber. 500 rounds through it-crimson trace grips and 3 mags for $500!!!! Anyone own one of these beauts and how they stack up to others? Anything special i need to know? Thanks for any advice.
pw9609l.jpg  

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't own one, but I own the Mil-Spec 1911a1. It's just like the GI model except without the lanyard loop and a 3 dot sights system, and I love it! It may not be a Colt, but it's pretty darn close to it .

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks like a great choice and a smoking deal! I can't speak from experience but i have looked into it a lil and it sounds like modding a 1911 takes a bit more "finesse" then other guns but doesn't sound too terribly difficult either. I'd personally leave it as is though but that's just my opinion, have fun!

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Liked 1459 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I would be honored to assist you in your 1911 mods. The changes you listed can be done with a modicum of mechanical common-sense and little help from your friends. (Those of us that have been there, got the t-shirt.) The only thing that may require a gunsmith is the new hammer to sear tuning.

My first request is that you get ~500 rounds of WWB 230gr ball ammo from Wally-World and don't do a thing to the gun until the ammo is spent. This will give you and your new gun to get to know each other and for you to compare the 1911 pattern pistol to the glock. Once you have 500 1911 single action trigger pulls under your belt you may never go back! Don't worry, 500 rounds can be expended in record time compared to the time it takes to complete the trigger take-up with the glock.

I look forward to your transition into the wonderful world of John Moses Browning.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-20-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Hey frantz, it's not a do it yourself thing. I have a colt government and bought a Wilson beavertail and hammer, took the gun apart and realized they didn't fit. Put all back together and took it to a gunsmith. Drop in parts doesn't always mean drop in parts. Just a few simple mods shouldn't cost too much and won't mess up the appearance. Don't "kitchen gunsmith" it, you'll regret it. My best friend took a dremel to his Colt officers, and now he regrets it. He was young and knew it all, now he is wiser leaves his dremel alone.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Oh yeah, good buy tho. It's a springer, my opinion you got a better deal than your friends dad.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #7

I have a springer 1911 loaded parkerized. It's like the GI with custom parts that I would have wanted to do myself basically. And MAN it's so awesome... Ur going to fall in love with it.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4148 Times on 2336 Posts
Likes Given: 1946

I have to agree with everyone above.
Like Cane says, shoot it to become familiar with it.

There are a lot of things that can be done to a 1911 to make it "Your" 1911, but you have to know what needs to be changed.

(I also heard that if you put 2 1911's in a safe together, somehow a family of 1911's develop over time.)

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl

(I also heard that if you put 2 1911's in a safe together, somehow a family of 1911's develop over time.)
Oh God if that was only true! Hahaha. To be honest w/you I'd probably just end up putting a skelotonized trigger on it and not the hammer. And I will be definitely shooting the stuffing out of it.
Any maintenence issues I need to know? Like how often springs need replaced etc etc? I am anal about maintaining my firearms and they get cleaned religiously so that's not an issue.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I would be honored to assist you in your 1911 mods. The changes you listed can be done with a modicum of mechanical common-sense and little help from your friends. (Those of us that have been there, got the t-shirt.) The only thing that may require a gunsmith is the new hammer to sear tuning.

My first request is that you get ~500 rounds of WWB 230gr ball ammo from Wally-World and don't do a thing to the gun until the ammo is spent. This will give you and your new gun to get to know each other and for you to compare the 1911 pattern pistol to the glock. Once you have 500 1911 single action trigger pulls under your belt you may never go back! Don't worry, 500 rounds can be expended in record time compared to the time it takes to complete the trigger take-up with the glock.

I look forward to your transition into the wonderful world of John Moses Browning.
Sorry cane did not mean to over step you sir. I'd like hear about the trigger swap