Fusion Firearms?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Fusion Firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fusion Firearms?

Hey guys, I have been doing research on 1911s for a few months now and thought I found where I want to order from. I started off wanted a colt then I allowed my dollar limit to go up just a bit and started liking the DW valor and then I found fusion firearms. From everything on the forums (m1911) they seem great. for the same price of the DW I can completly customize everything on the pistol from a huge selection of options and everything seems great quality. Then some guy started saying they arent the greatest and posted a link to glock talk forum where a bunch of people say they arent that great, production gun quality, that bob serva has given up. anywho my main question is what are yall's opinion? if you have one. Cane? I know you are biased but you area wealth of info. I don't want to drop 1700 on a pistol, wait 5 months to get it just to be dissapointed.

oh and I am looking for a 1911 for home defense and competitions uspsa probably. Thanks all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Fusion Firearms is owned by Bob Serva (who used to be president of DW prior to CZ coming in).

They are decent, but do require some fitting. I have a 1911a1 I assembled on a Fusion frame, and while most of Ed Brown's parts fit, the Grip safety still needed some internal fitting on the frame.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'm assuming you are going to buy a complete gun from Fusion, not buy the parts and build, right? @ $1700 it better be a finished gun!

sarge43 had Bob make two for him and last I talked to Ryan (sarge43) he was happy with the final product. You may want to send him a PM and see what he has to say. He may even have some suggestions or hints to speed up the build.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sarges-new-beautiful-beast-here-pic-heavy-11907/#post82917

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/how-about-nice-grips-thread-10387/index9.html#post89508

Send Ryan a PM and ask him.

What I've seen and heard, Fusion Firearms produces a very nice 1911.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

All i'll say is that if i was going to drop $1700 on a 1911 Fusion would NOT be on my concider list

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

Thanks guys. Yes it's a complete gun. I saw that Sarge had a fusion and will pm him about it. Hossfly, why would you avoid fusion? And what would you spend 1700 on?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'll put this out here on the thread.
My first Fusion was a bobtail commander finished in Ion bond with stainless small parts. The build took a couple months longer than quoted, but I was fine with it since the pistol came to me just as I ordered it and is a great shooter. I ordered a Fusion CCO platform a few months after the Commander arrived and began the wait. Again, the build went months over the quoted time, but I told myself to be patient as it would be worth the wait. My pistol arrived and I was surprised to find that a few things specified on my build sheet did not match what was on my pistol. It's like the person building it ignored what I had specified and just put on what was on his bench. Nothing major - wrong hammer, wrong safety, didn't flush and crown the barrel and a couple of other things. I was little ticked, but called Bob and he offered to have it shipped back and fixed. By that time I decided that it wasn't a big deal and it's not like I didn't like the pistol as it was, so I declined that offer. My choice. Bob is the most helpful person you will ever run into, and will tkae whatever time is necessary to answer your questions.
I received my CCO about a year ago or so now, and the build time was at a time of VERY fast growth for Fusion. I personally think that they were so stretched at that time for personnel vs. builds, that corners were cut, attention couldn't be paid to each build as it was with my first. That may have changed by now, I honestly do not know.
My first pistol is perfect. My second pistol, I settled for (again, my choice). Would I buy another Fusion? Maybe. IF the personnel crunch has been fixed and the quality/attention to detail is back. If they are still playing "catch up", then no. You'd be served well by talking to someone who has had a more recent build than mine to see if it has been corrected. When they're on their game, Fusion is great. I harbor no ill will toward Bob or Fusion at all, as he was willing to do what was necessary to get it right. I just didn't want to wait a few more months to get it the way I ordered it.
Good luck with your decision!
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 09-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

thanks a lot sarge. i have been reading your old threads in various forums and still cannot find that cco tear down and shootout but i was surprised by the fit of you second fusion in your pictures that show the rear of the slide where the slide meets the rails. overall it seems that mr serva has earned a spotty reputation. ive been emailing him with a quote and i got the feeling that he would forget a few things off the pistol here and there. it took me a couple of emails to get him to add some details to the build.

I was also reading about the parts they used being from pretty cheap manufactures but i cant remember exactly to ill leave that comment at that.

I have also been in contact with rick form powerfactorshow and suggested an sti Trojan or colt special combat (i know your vote cane) and i gotta say they are def in my list now.

i think im leaning towards the colt but others to consider are the sti, a dw valor, my fusion build (which is pretty awesome), and ill leave a slot open for further research.

thanks for the help guys,

Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Have you considered Ed Brown?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fusion sells their parts on Ebay. I don't see Ed Brown or Wilson doing this.

Stick with the people that know how to make a 1911 work. I have a couple of Wilson's and Ed Browns.

The fit and finish on all are perfect.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #10

Ed brown is definitely on my consider list. Now can I find one for under 1800?