Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Full length guide rod matter? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/full-length-guide-rod-matter-102836/)

DP03 01-16-2014 02:28 AM

Full length guide rod matter?

As I'm searching for my first 1911, one of the models has a full length guide rod. The LGS owner told me to expect a lot of different opinions on this. Anyone have a preference one way or the other?

robocop10mm 01-16-2014 02:55 AM

I prefer the full length. They just seem to cycle more smoothly. As the tolerances get tighter in the rest of the gun, I think the full length is better. For a "sloppy" GI spec gun the original is fine

Mercator 01-16-2014 02:56 AM

I prefer a short rod for the ease of disassembly, but ultimately don't care.

JonM 01-16-2014 02:59 AM

Full length only matters in slides shorter than the standard full length slides or slides longer than standard length or with springs 20# and up. Other than those conditions they serve no functional purpose.

Axxe55 01-16-2014 03:02 AM

i think some of it is personal preference. in some pistols it may make a difference, but in those i have owned that i tried them in i couldn't see any difference to justify the cost of changing over to one.

now, i'll run them as is. if they come with one, fine if not fine too. my SA Micro Compact 45 came with one factory and a bushingless barrel.

danf_fl 01-16-2014 09:38 AM

The FLG is a way to part you with some of your money.

Okay, so the recoil spring won't "kink" with it. But nobody has convinced me that the standard setup as designed by JMB allows the recoil spring to "kink" either.

Some FLGs are two piece, some are solid. Some people like them, some don't. I don't like the extra steps needed to disassemble with one.

The best thing is to shoot a 1911 both ways (different guns may react differently, so use the same 1911). I have a FLG in one or two, but there is no difference in accuracy either way.

Another consideration is that the recoil spring plug has to be open for the FLG to work. Another area for dirt to get into.

Axxe55 01-17-2014 04:18 AM

if i were building a 1911 from scratch or doing a full on custom build, i might consider using a FLG. but from what i have experianced in the past, i see little need o change from the factory set-up with no real gains in performance, to justify the cost and time to change to one.

therukh 01-17-2014 05:17 AM

1911 Guide Rod

Quote:

Originally Posted by DP03 (Post 1483655)
As I'm searching for my first 1911, one of the models has a full length guide rod. The LGS owner told me to expect a lot of different opinions on this. Anyone have a preference one way or the other?

I have both, but when I used to work some at Novak's .45 Shop, as it was then called, Wayne used to say, "If John Moses Browning would have wanted one in there [meaning a full length guide rod], he would have put one there!"

rjd3282 01-17-2014 09:23 AM

I've had them both ways never noticed a difference. I certainly don't agree with the logic that if JMB had wanted it there it would have been there logic. We have all kinds of things on the 1911 that weren't on the original. We have improved sights, palm swells,flat or curved main spring housings, checkering on the front of the grip, extended and ambi safeties.

love_my_1911 01-17-2014 11:20 AM

I'm currently doing a custom build, and opted for the original style. I've had both, and haven't noticed a difference in cycling or anything like that. The reason I went with the original style is, I once read in a self defense blog, that if one of your arms is rendered unusable in the heat of battle, your able to use a corner or the edge of a table to rack your slide. With a full length guide rod you can't, or at least it would be more difficult. A silly reason I know, but it kinda stuck in my head. I do find the original style a little easier to take down.