FTF problems.... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > FTF problems....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put a little oil on the slide rails, but that's about it.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It may help and it sure couldn't hurt to lube it well after you clean it. Keep us informed and good luck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #13

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Two things Doc;
Have you changed lube brand lately? I went from good 'ol REM oil to some ULTRALUBE synthetic $hit that caused me to chase my tail looking for a fix for my FTF problem. After exhausting every avenue I went back to REM oil and presto, the FTF was gone. Needles to say I pitched the synthetic and have a troublefree running gun!

The second thingie, swap back to the old barrel bushing and see what happens.

Let me know what you find.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #14

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I see you are going to re-spring the gun.

I would highly recomend you take a look at the ISMI recoil springs. I like them for the same reason I like Tripp Research Cobra Mags, its all the company makes and when your entire R&D budget is focused on one item you tend to produce a quality product.

Go here and read:

ISMI Gunsprings, Made in the U.S.A.

ISMI springs that incorporate current technology and are competivitly priced with the 'same 'ol" music wire springs from 1890s! And they come with a one year warranty!

"12 Month Replacement Warranty extends beyond just materials and workmanship. We even cover failure due to wear. Failure due to wear is not some arbitrary figure: if your ISMI 1911 Recoil Spring loses more than 0.375” of free length in 12 months it will be replaced at NO CHARGE (no shipping charge when sent by US Mail) regardless of the number of rounds fired."
Any other spring sellers offering a warranty regardless of the number of shots fired?

What I do is change out my spring every year and ship it back to ISMI. If its bad, they send me a new spring. If its good, I have proof that my purchase was worth the effort. Now here's the secret, don't buy them from ISMI, go to MidwayUSA and get them for less!

MidwayUSA - ISMI Recoil Spring 1911 Government 16 lb Chrome Silicon

I would try three, the 15#, 16# and an 18#. After you try the suggested fixes from the members, start your tuning with the above springs.

Please post some feedback.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #15

Likes Given: 5

Default Ftf

How many rounds have you put thru it? My S/S TRP took about 100 rounds of FMJ to get to shoot anything I put thru it. Looking at the Kimber manual they recommend 400-500 rounds of FMJ for break-in purposes. I'm still waiting for my Kimber SIS Pro...Report will follow.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Well,

I took my Springfield 1911 (basic GI style) out this week and was having a bunch of issues with failing to feed.

The slide would stick with the round halfway into the chamber. If i gave it a slight (literally, very slight) nudge on the back of the slide it'd pop into place. this probably happened on 10 out of 24 rounds. I'd shoot it, it'd work for 1 or 3 shots, then fail to feed correctly, then it'd work for a few, then not.
I would very much appreciate it if you updated this thread with your progress. You exactly described the same problem I've been consistently whining and bitching about with my Springfield 1911, and did so much more coherently. As such, I am incredibly interested in the solution, if you find one. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #17

The only feed problem I ever had with my Springfield was a feed ramp that I had to get polished up. If that's taken care of, my next suggesstion would be to clean it real good and lube it out again.

I use a tad more oil on the rail than my other weapons. Seems like everyone I know with about any brand of 1911 that has misfed has always been fixed by adding some drops to the rails.

After that, I agree, get the spring looked at. That was the first hardware change I made in mine, along with a full length guide rod for it. This really helped the performance of it and was well worth the bit o coin on it.

Let us know how this comes out for you.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #18

Wow!!! Everyone is super helpful, thanks folks.

I'll def let you know my findings, maybe I can make it out this weekend to try it lubed up and whatnot, but I'm not sure.

I've put maybe 300-400 rounds through it. It was also used when I bought it.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I have to say that I have yet to see a 1911 fail to function because of a limp wrist.
Every 1911 will have feed and extraction problems if limp wristed. The gun won't come in and out of battery correctly and therefore, nothing else will work properly. I've seen it happen, first hand, on Colts, Kimbers, Paras, and Sigs.

My wife carries a small scar on her chest from limp wristing my Kimber that resulted in a hot shell shooting back at her and lodging itself in her bra. Her follow up shot fed slowly like Marn is describing, then after being fired, stove piped. She handed the pistol to me, and I was able to fire the rest of the magazine without issue.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #20

Well, what better way to celebrate Easter than a little shooting?

I'm headed out with the gun all lubed up and with a few parts in hand to see if i can come up with anything.

I'm gonna be doing my CCW class next weekend, and want to be able to get this gun firing right before then, otherwise, it'll be sitting the class out. I never plan to carry it on me, but if i ever go hiking/camping etc, or maybe in the car, i figure it should be on my permit.

I'll return with results.