FTF with JHP

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > FTF with JHP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FTF with JHP

I picked up a box of WWB jacketed hollow points today in .45 acp to see if my Springfield milspec 1911 would eat them. I have not had a chance to try them yet due to weather, but they do not feed when I manually cycle them. 75% of the time they get stuck on the feed ramp.

My pistol has around 300 rounds FMJ from a few manufacturers. It feeds the FMJ without a problem. The gun is clean and lubed, the feed ramp feels silky smooth. What are some things that can cause this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

What kind of mags? GI mags rarely feed JHP's even in the best gun.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Different hollow points have different profiles. Some bullets are practically a flat nose, the cavity is so large. You may have to experiment with different types of ammunition to find one that feeds reliably.

PowrBall is an old standby that will pretty much always work and will give you the best of both worlds.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #4

Ill have to try some other kinds of JHP ammo to see if I can find one that will feed reliably. Ill look for the Powerball.

My mags are the ones that came with the pistol from Springfield. Guessing they are GI?.. how can I tell? Ill get some different mags too. The guy at walmart told me that people were having FTF issues with this ammo so I am not surprised, more dissapointed than anything.

Granted they are completely different animals, my glock 19 will eat anything I feed it and for this reason amongst others I choose it as my primary self defense weapon. The primary reason for purchasing my 1911 was not for defense, however after some time with the weapon it has quickly become my favorite to shoot and I would like to get it to where it is a viable option for self defense. Is there anything that a gunsmith can do such as polishing the feed ramp that will get it to feed anything or am I just going to have to try and find a brand of ammo that my gun will eat?