FTE problem returns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > FTE problem returns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I use grease on the slides of all my guns and never had a problem with any of them. But, then again, every time I shoot, I clean. I don't run dirty guns.

tetra.jpg  

Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
=> yup! chainsaws.... and wood working in the shop.

I'm not using grease, it transfers from the tractor, grease guns and car-parts when crawling around.

currently I am using Break Free CLP (for cleaning and lubing)

I will try some dry lube or Mobil1 and give her another weeks worth country fun and see how that works.
You can probably give it a good blow out with an air compressor in the evenings after your done with your chores, and start the day with a relatively cleaned out pistol.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #13

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
You can probably give it a good blow out with an air compressor in the evenings after your done with your chores, and start the day with a relatively cleaned out pistol.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun.
I do this weekly with my carry gun except I don't have a compressor but that air in a can works great. Its amazing how much lint can collect inside a gun over a 7 day period.

Tack
Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #14

You must trust your carry firearm, if after you shoot your handguns a while you find out if you can really trust them or not. If you don't trust one then I advise finding one you can trust for carry.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

the problem is its one of those high felutin' kimbers. They are made to be used by suits and not areas where REAL work occurs.

Methinks you should get yourself a more blue collar gun (like a Springfield Armory) and your problems will go away.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
the problem is its one of those high felutin' kimbers. They are made to be used by suits and not areas where REAL work occurs.

Methinks you should get yourself a more blue collar gun (like a Springfield Armory) and your problems will go away.
How is getting a Springfield Armory going to keep the crap out of the breach of his pistol, you might as well suggested the OP move to the city and get a different profession, good grief.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2824 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
How is getting a Springfield Armory going to keep the crap out of the breach of his pistol, you might as well suggested the OP move to the city and get a different profession, good grief.
He was just having a bit of fun.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1754 Times on 975 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

I appreciate the helpful answers given in this thread, I even appreciate the humor.
(The other answers intrique me. Something for firestarting?)

I hope that you realize that this is a real problem, and that my comment about cleaning was an attempt to clarify that I am looking for an in-process solution.

I indeed realize that end-of-day cleaning is the best approach, but thought others may solved the 'during the day' problems.

Although I have the 'smash it in the dirt and mud' Glock, I really find I like the size, weight and trigger of the 3" alloy frame Kimber. It really puts that hunk of lead on target for me and my hands.

I do blow it out with the air compressor if I think of it while in the shop.
But the black crud seems to stay despite 125psi squirt. It reminds me of a sedimentary rock. (starts out soft and dry, but under heat and pressure turns to something harder than talc on the Mo scale.

I spent some time looking for flapped holsters, but not sure the ones I saw will keep out the flying crud. It appears that my current holster does a good, form fitting job of covering the ejector port, so the external crud must be heading past the FPS and moving down.

I suppose that powder fouling may contribute to the 'fine' stuff on the breach face, and maybe the grease is from the BreakFree CLP wetting the fouled mess.

So, I decided to try this week with the Ejector, FP and surrounding parts clean and dry.

Although I can't afford to by the blue collar Springfield, I did however find that my new Stihl hat keeps the sun outa my eyes better than that Starbucks hat.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #19

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I appreciate the helpful answers given in this thread, I even appreciate the humor.
(The other answers intrique me. Something for firestarting?)

I hope that you realize that this is a real problem, and that my comment about cleaning was an attempt to clarify that I am looking for an in-process solution.

I indeed realize that end-of-day cleaning is the best approach, but thought others may solved the 'during the day' problems.

Although I have the 'smash it in the dirt and mud' Glock, I really find I like the size, weight and trigger of the 3" alloy frame Kimber. It really puts that hunk of lead on target for me and my hands.

I do blow it out with the air compressor if I think of it while in the shop.
But the black crud seems to stay despite 125psi squirt. It reminds me of a sedimentary rock. (starts out soft and dry, but under heat and pressure turns to something harder than talc on the Mo scale.

I spent some time looking for flapped holsters, but not sure the ones I saw will keep out the flying crud. It appears that my current holster does a good, form fitting job of covering the ejector port, so the external crud must be heading past the FPS and moving down.

I suppose that powder fouling may contribute to the 'fine' stuff on the breach face, and maybe the grease is from the BreakFree CLP wetting the fouled mess.

So, I decided to try this week with the Ejector, FP and surrounding parts clean and dry.

Quote:
Although I can't afford to by the blue collar Springfield, I did however find that my new Stihl hat keeps the sun outa my eyes better than that Starbucks hat.
Well, least that problems solved
I'm a Husky fan myself

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1754 Times on 975 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

Update:
Situation Improves. A dry upper, especially in the extractor area helped quite a bit.
Grass, Dirt and now.. paint continues to build after a day or so, but the still no failure to fires, failure to eject or chamber. even with some dirty Tula.

Last night I did a complete detail strip, (less busings and pivot pins on hammer, barrel) and clean.
Yes.. I actually do clean it, but a long day of work can do more than any year or two in the safe or a couple of days at the range.

Still no good option for a flapped holster. I'll keep looking

l1060477.jpg   l1060288.jpg  

Last edited by KG7IL; 08-02-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: minor