FTE problem returns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > FTE problem returns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1849 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 5520

Default FTE problem returns

I thought my extractor was working fine, but the FTE problem returned.

I carry everyday, while working in the yard, on the cars, while cutting firewood, gardening, plumbing and tilework and any other activity I am involved in.

Since I can shoot on my property, I often run a rounds through while in the south 10 and seldom clean the Kimber Ultra.

Yesterday while running some WWbox 230grs, I once again had failure to eject problems (consitently_ This morning I stripped the slide and looked things over. I cleaned the parts, the extractor looked in great shape.

It seems that the internal extractor is a bit sensitive to filth and grime.
As the case head slides up the breechface, it continues to pack the dirt, grease and sawdust into the extractor hole until the extractor hook's grip is comprimised. The action of the extractor seems to suck in the dirt and pound it into a slate like coating or 'plaque' in the extractor pad/ extractor hole. Obviously more tension on the extractor won't solve this problem, nor would I think it would.

Cleaning seems the easiest solution, but seems rather drastic. Has anyone found a way to keep the crud outa the extractor hole or reduce this plaque build-up. (Blue Painters tape, tissue paper?, flap holster [yuk] non-tacky grease? )

Before I get lambasted for a troll, or stupid post, please understand that I am serious and wondering how this problem might be solved.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The problem might be the tight tolerances that kimber engineers into their fire arms, for instance their recommendation to fire 500 round in the break-in period before the weapon runs reliably, but you don't need to hear that, and cry over spilled milk.

Try running it with a dry lube and as dry as possible and don't use any "tacky grease", so that any accumulated debris in the pistol will shake off when firing the first round in the chamber.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'll keep my opinion to myself

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

You say you seldom clean it, have you tried properly maintaining it? I'd wager that'll go a long way towards helping solve your problem.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Sawdust?
Sorry, but I don't know what environment you work in.

Sawdust?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Liked 2384 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Sawdust?
Sorry, but I don't know what environment you work in.

Sawdust?
He's in Washington and has property and describes working in the yard. I've helped my Father-in-law clear brush and timber on their property. My bet would be that he runs a chainsaw pretty frequently the way vine maple grows out there.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Stop using grease! It's that simple.

Before we start a Hatfield/McCoy feud, let me tell you what my dislike of grease comes from. Think of grease as lapping compound without the grit. Throw in some powder residue, sand, dirt and general range crap and presto, you have your lapping compound.

Oil will tend to "wash" these contaminates out of the friction areas. Grease tends to attract and hold these contaminates.

When I was tuning Fenrir (my 460 Rowland Colt SS XSE) I went with the latest "Super Hi Tec Synthetic Wonder Grease" figuring I may as well go with the latest technology. The grease slowed my cycle times to the point of FTF. After talking with Clark, and seeing this was my first SS 1911, I found out about the inherent friction characteristics of SS slides on SS receivers.

I was given the same advice, to completely strip the grease and go with oil. I did and the cycle time improved. Then I went on to the lapping procedure and the improvement was so drastic I needed to reduce the recoil spring pressure to slow it down!

I have been using Mobil 1 for years and with this foray into "Super Grease" I'm glad to say I'm back with Mobil 1 to stay!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1849 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 5520

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Sawdust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
He's in Washington and has property and describes working in the yard. .
=> yup! chainsaws.... and wood working in the shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Stop using grease!!
I'm not using grease, it transfers from the tractor, grease guns and car-parts when crawling around.

currently I am using Break Free CLP (for cleaning and lubing)

I will try some dry lube or Mobil1 and give her another weeks worth country fun and see how that works.

Last edited by KG7IL; 06-05-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #9

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

If this is truly an environmental thing maybe a military style flap holster is not a bad idea.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Seems to me, even if you're not meticulous in cleaning most firearms, your carry gun should be maintained with some diligence.
I use slide grease in miniscule amounts successfully, however in your situation, I'd go with Cane's advice.
A flap holster sounds like a good idea too.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?